POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.windows : POV-Ray Editors : Re: POV-Ray Editors Server Time
27 Oct 2024 16:15:12 EDT (-0400)
  Re: POV-Ray Editors
From: Mr
Date: 22 Aug 2017 04:20:00
Message: <web.599be5d78045b5de16086ed00@news.povray.org>

> > You can use /any/ text editor capable of saving plain vanilla ASCII
> > text. You could even use MS Word for that purpose.
> >
> > A text editor capable of syntax highlighting would be of advantage of
> > course. But you may need to roll your own highlighting rules.
>

> Yes, indeed.
> Te one thing I would find VERY useful is some sort of editor that has
> differential coloring of nested parentheses for mathematical formulae.
>
> Debugging those can drive me a little nuts sometimes.
>
> Does anyone have a [preferably small, lightweight, free] 3rd party editor that
> would work well for this?
> I suppose if I need to, I could use Excel...

The release candidate 2 of Blender 2.79 has our latest patch for POV syntax
highlighting in:

https://download.blender.org/release/Blender2.79/

When you put your cursor next to a {} brace sign, it highlights in red the
corresponding pair of braces. Lanuhum and I added one more color than POVwin, so
"transforming" keywords are distinguished from objects, and in the same color
group as mathematical functions.
All this looks perfect for your need. And possibly of some others users.
I added a "run" operator to render a preview of edited text only regardless of
Blender 3D scene. Also note that another add-on exists that can enable
auto-completion and I successfully tried it with POV files.

See the wiki for screen captures cluing how to use pov colored syntax in blender
(file suffixes are recognized automatically):
https://wiki.blender.org/index.php/Extensions:2.6/Py/Scripts/Render/POV-Ray#Adding_POV_code_directly

Please note that, as of today, Lanuhum and I are Python scripters (and I a lame
one!)yet we tried to mimic existing C code and successfully dared to submit this
C patch which is not our language, but was still accepted by the main Blender
developers, I mean to say that if you really preferred such changes to happen in
Povwin and the likes, don't be scared to try !

Otherwise of course, just tell us what's wrong with it in our Blender's
implementation, and we'll try to improve it based on your feedback. Thanks!