POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unofficial.patches : Hgpovray38, current state Server Time: 22 Sep 2018 06:52:01 GMT
  Hgpovray38, current state (Message 1 to 7 of 7)  
From: Le Forgeron
Subject: Hgpovray38, current state
Date: 18 Aug 2018 11:58:25
Message: <5b7809e1$1@news.povray.org>
For the people who do not want to bother with git, Hgpovray is now
available as sources


https://github.com/LeForgeron/povray/releases/tag/v3.8.0.alpha%2BHg.226-Thermidor-30

> https://github.com/LeForgeron/povray/releases/tag/v3.8.0.alpha%2BHg.226-Thermidor-30

More works on the agenda :

http://wiki.povray.org/content/User:Le_Forgeron/HgPovray38


Post a reply to this message

From: Le Forgeron
Subject: Re: Hgpovray38, current state
Date: 12 Sep 2018 20:39:04
Message: <5b997968$1@news.povray.org>
Le 18/08/2018 à 13:58, Le_Forgeron a écrit :
> For the people who do not want to bother with git, Hgpovray is now
> available as sources
> 
> 
Latest version so far:

https://github.com/LeForgeron/povray/releases/tag/v3.8.0.alpha%2BHg.226.Bigarade

> https://github.com/LeForgeron/povray/releases/tag/v3.8.0.alpha%2BHg.226.Bigarade


> More works on the agenda :
> 
> http://wiki.povray.org/content/User:Le_Forgeron/HgPovray38
>


Post a reply to this message

From: jr
Subject: Re: Hgpovray38, current state
Date: 12 Sep 2018 21:55:01
Message: <web.5b998a25b933d837b0d4fc1e0@news.povray.org>
hi,

Le_Forgeron <jgr### [at] freefr> wrote:
> Le 18/08/2018 à 13:58, Le_Forgeron a écrit :
> > For the people who do not want to bother with git, Hgpovray is now
> > available as sources
> Latest version so far:
https://github.com/LeForgeron/povray/releases/tag/v3.8.0.alpha%2BHg.226.Bigarade

downloaded the .tar.gz version and run into trouble -- make error when
compilation gets to the maths/spline code.  log posted in p.binaries.misc.


regards, jr.


Post a reply to this message

From: Le Forgeron
Subject: Re: Hgpovray38, current state
Date: 13 Sep 2018 05:42:00
Message: <5b99f8a8$1@news.povray.org>
Le 12/09/2018 à 23:50, jr a écrit :
> hi,
> 
> Le_Forgeron <jgr### [at] freefr> wrote:
>> Le 18/08/2018 à 13:58, Le_Forgeron a écrità:
>>> For the people who do not want to bother with git, Hgpovray is now
>>> available as sources
>> Latest version so far:
> https://github.com/LeForgeron/povray/releases/tag/v3.8.0.alpha%2BHg.226.Bigarade
> 
> downloaded the .tar.gz version and run into trouble -- make error when
> compilation gets to the maths/spline code.  log posted in p.binaries.misc.

What age is your compiler ?

I have compiled it with g++ 7, modern clang and icc (intel).


Post a reply to this message

From: jr
Subject: Re: Hgpovray38, current state
Date: 13 Sep 2018 09:30:00
Message: <web.5b9a2df6b933d837b0d4fc1e0@news.povray.org>
hi,

Le Forgeron <jgr### [at] freefr> wrote:
> Le 12/09/2018 à 23:50, jr a écrit :
> > downloaded the .tar.gz version and run into trouble -- make error when
> > compilation gets to the maths/spline code.  log posted in p.binaries.misc.
>
> What age is your compiler ?

4.8.2.  :-)

however, is that not a "red herring"?  I would expect './configure' to fail if
the s/ware is .. not modern enough.

> I have compiled it with g++ 7, modern clang and icc (intel).



regards, jr.


Post a reply to this message

From: clipka
Subject: Re: Hgpovray38, current state
Date: 13 Sep 2018 14:16:41
Message: <5b9a7149@news.povray.org>
Am 13.09.2018 um 11:29 schrieb jr:
> hi,
> 
> Le Forgeron <jgr### [at] freefr> wrote:
>> Le 12/09/2018 à 23:50, jr a écrità:
>>> downloaded the .tar.gz version and run into trouble -- make error when
>>> compilation gets to the maths/spline code.  log posted in p.binaries.misc.
>>
>> What age is your compiler ?
> 
> 4.8.2.  :-)

For the records, GCC 4.8.2 is feature-complete with respect to C++11.

> however, is that not a "red herring"?  I would expect './configure' to fail if
> the s/ware is .. not modern enough.

The question isn't that offbeat; as a matter of fact, the only reliable
way to test whether any given compiler will compile a given program is
to actually try compiling that program.

Case in point: gcc 4.8.2 (or, more precisely, the standard header files
that came with it), despite claiming full C++11 compliance, actually
isn't, due to a couple of bugs in the implementation of std::vector<T>.

And that seems to be exactly what you are seeing; I couldn't find a bug
report matching the /exact/ symptoms, but the error messages point to a
a non-standard-compliant interface of `std::vector<T>::insert`, and
there are bug reports of multiple other non-compliances of
`std::vector<T>`, such as this one:

    https://gcc.gnu.org/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=55817

Judging from when the other bugs were fixed, you'll probably need gcc
4.9 or later.


Post a reply to this message

From: jr
Subject: Re: Hgpovray38, current state
Date: 13 Sep 2018 15:40:00
Message: <web.5b9a8458b933d837b0d4fc1e0@news.povray.org>
hi,

clipka <ano### [at] anonymousorg> wrote:
> Am 13.09.2018 um 11:29 schrieb jr:
> > Le Forgeron <jgr### [at] freefr> wrote:
> >> Le 12/09/2018 à 23:50, jr a écrità:
> >>> downloaded the .tar.gz version and run into trouble -- make error when
> >>> compilation gets to the maths/spline code.  log posted in p.binaries.misc.
> >> What age is your compiler ?
> > 4.8.2.  :-)
>
> For the records, GCC 4.8.2 is feature-complete with respect to C++11.
> ...
> Case in point: gcc 4.8.2 (or, more precisely, the standard header files
> that came with it), despite claiming full C++11 compliance, actually
> isn't, due to a couple of bugs in the implementation of std::vector<T>.
>
> And that seems to be exactly what you are seeing; I couldn't find a bug
> report matching the /exact/ symptoms, but the error messages point to a
> a non-standard-compliant interface of `std::vector<T>::insert`, and
> there are bug reports of multiple other non-compliances of
> `std::vector<T>`, such as this one:
>
>     https://gcc.gnu.org/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=55817
>
> Judging from when the other bugs were fixed, you'll probably need gcc
> 4.9 or later.

wow.  thank you very much for digging in to the details, appreciated.  update it
is then (well, near future :-))


regards, jr.


Post a reply to this message

Copyright 2003-2008 Persistence of Vision Raytracer Pty. Ltd.