POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unix : wierd behavior after compiling on Fedora 38 Server Time
28 Sep 2024 01:18:16 EDT (-0400)
  wierd behavior after compiling on Fedora 38 (Message 31 to 32 of 32)
From: William F Pokorny
Subject: Re: wierd behavior after compiling on Fedora 38
Date: 24 Oct 2023 07:05:48
Message: <6537a50c$1@news.povray.org>
On 10/23/23 20:04, RSM wrote:
> I have not had time to explore this further on linux.
>
> However I have been able to get 3.8 beta 2 to work on windows.
>
> I will investigate further when i have time.
>
> Thank you to everyone who tried to help me

I wondered. Thanks for the update.

Bill P.

Post a reply to this message

From: William F Pokorny
Date: 5 Sep 2024 15:54:34
Message: <66da0c7a$1@news.povray.org>
On 10/1/23 10:53, RSM wrote:
> When i try to render a scene after compiling it on Fedora 38 the program runs
> very fast and produces a totally white image. i am outputing the scene as a png
> file.
>
> it is povray 3.8 beta 1.
>
> Does anyone have any tips on how to compile the program properly on Fedora 38?
>
> This is the script i use to compile the program.
>
> #!/bin/bash
> CXXFLAGS="-Wno-multichar"
> ../configure COMPILED_BY="RSM"  --with-boost=/usr/lib64 --disable-io-restrictions
> --with-boost-thread=boost_thread LIBS=-Lboost_system
> export LDFLAGS="${LDFLAGS} -L/usr/lib64"
> make clean
> make check
> make install
>
> Thank you
> RSM

FWIW, I suspect you were seeing the g++13 issue with -ffast-math
discussed here:

http://news.povray.org/povray.unix/thread/%3C66d79724%40news.povray.org%3E/

I got very similar symptoms to yours on the update to the g++13 compiler.

Configuring with -fno-finite-math-only fixed the 'bounding not working'
issue for me (Ubuntu 24.04).

Bill P.