POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unix : ini file section references Server Time
4 May 2024 05:51:32 EDT (-0400)
  ini file section references (Message 1 to 6 of 6)
From: Chris R
Subject: ini file section references
Date: 15 Jun 2023 14:00:00
Message: <web.648b50728d8bb46114589f4d5cc1b6e@news.povray.org>
I normally work in Windows with POV-Ray, but I have access to some big linux
boxes that I'd like to use for my longer renderings.  At the moment I'm trying
to figure out how I can use quickres.ini to set the resolution options, rather
than specifying them individually on the command line, or fixing them within my
scene.ini file.

I updated my copy of quickres.ini to include a section called [default], as well
as a bunch of sections I had added to my windows installation to keep things
consistent.

On the linux box, if I run:

povray $POVHOME/ini/quickres[default] scene.pov

The rendering starts as expected.

povray $POVHOME/ini/quickres[foo] scene.pov

Also works, even though there is no subsection labeled [foo].

povray $POVHOME/ini/quires[160x120, No AA] scene.pov

fails with "Failed to parser command-line option".

I have tried:
'160x120, no AA'
"160x120, no AA"
"160x120,\ no AA"

I can't seem to find the magic to allow specifying a section name with embedded
spaces in it.

Do I need to go rename all of the sections in quickres.ini to remove the spaces?

-- Chris R.

Post a reply to this message

"Chris R" <car### [at] comcastnet> wrote:
> I updated my copy of quickres.ini to include a section called [default],...

disclaimer, I don't use any of the distribution inis.

> On the linux box, if I run:
> povray $POVHOME/ini/quires[160x120, No AA] scene.pov
>
> fails with "Failed to parser command-line option".
>
> I have tried:
> '160x120, no AA'
> "160x120, no AA"
> "160x120,\ no AA"

I'd try quote the whole thing.
  $ povray "$POVHOME/ini/quires[160x120, No AA]" scene.pov

the brackets, too, are "special" to the (BASH?) shell.

regards, jr.

Post a reply to this message