POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unix : Compiling with Linux Mint Rebecca Server Time
29 Mar 2024 10:24:50 EDT (-0400)
  Compiling with Linux Mint Rebecca (Message 1 to 5 of 5)
From: kolloid
Subject: Compiling with Linux Mint Rebecca
Date: 9 Feb 2015 15:30:00
Message: <web.54d9171e515722c6183614c90@news.povray.org>
Linux Mint "Rebecca" is based on Ubuntu 14.04. I attempted to compile povray 3.7
on this platform with very little luck until I found this board.
After applying all the suggestions that I found (boost related, mainly), the
generation still failed with a "source/Makefile.in not found" message.

In the output log of unix/prebuild.sh I noticed references to "missing
subdir-objects" so I edited unix/configure.ac. I noticed that in this file there
was a macro AM_INIT_AUTOMAKE but it's been commented-out. I reinstated it thus:

AM_INIT_AUTOMAKE([subdir-objects])

substituting the original, around line 169.

This change made all the compilation process work. Looks like this macro is
needed for later versions of automake. My version is 1.14.1

Hope this helps somebody
Tom

Post a reply to this message

> Linux Mint "Rebecca" is based on Ubuntu 14.04. I attempted to compile povray 3.7
> on this platform with very little luck until I found this board.
> After applying all the suggestions that I found (boost related, mainly), the
> generation still failed with a "source/Makefile.in not found" message.
>
> In the output log of unix/prebuild.sh I noticed references to "missing
> subdir-objects" so I edited unix/configure.ac. I noticed that in this file there
> was a macro AM_INIT_AUTOMAKE but it's been commented-out. I reinstated it thus:
>
> AM_INIT_AUTOMAKE([subdir-objects])
>
> substituting the original, around line 169.
>
> This change made all the compilation process work. Looks like this macro is
> needed for later versions of automake. My version is 1.14.1
>
> Hope this helps somebody
> Tom

It might. Which version of povray 3.7 did you get ?
(or where did you get it from ?)

The 3.7-stable is one year old, and it worked at that time. But in the
meantime, they changed automake and its default (someone never heard
about backward compatibility, on the same line as someone at boost never
heard of it either some years ago).

The master branch have that part fixed (and more).

Post a reply to this message

> > Linux Mint "Rebecca" is based on Ubuntu 14.04. I attempted to compile povray 3.7
> > on this platform with very little luck until I found this board.
> > After applying all the suggestions that I found (boost related, mainly), the
> > generation still failed with a "source/Makefile.in not found" message.
> >
> > In the output log of unix/prebuild.sh I noticed references to "missing
> > subdir-objects" so I edited unix/configure.ac. I noticed that in this file there
> > was a macro AM_INIT_AUTOMAKE but it's been commented-out. I reinstated it thus:
> >
> > AM_INIT_AUTOMAKE([subdir-objects])
> >
> > substituting the original, around line 169.
> >
> > This change made all the compilation process work. Looks like this macro is
> > needed for later versions of automake. My version is 1.14.1
> >
> > Hope this helps somebody
> > Tom
> >

> It might. Which version of povray 3.7 did you get ?
> (or where did you get it from ?)
>
> The 3.7-stable is one year old, and it worked at that time. But in the
> meantime, they changed automake and its default (someone never heard
> about backward compatibility, on the same line as someone at boost never
> heard of it either some years ago).
>
> The master branch have that part fixed (and more).

Well, the default download is the 3.7-stable release, which is what I installed.
Now I downloaded master and will compile that, to see what happens.

Agreed about automake. You end up having several incompatible versions
installed. Crazy ...

Tom

Post a reply to this message

"kolloid" <tom### [at] sobotanet> wrote:
> Le_Forgeron <jgr### [at] freefr> wrote:
> > Le 09/02/2015 21:25, kolloid a écrit :
> > (or where did you get it from ?)
> >
> > The 3.7-stable is one year old, and it worked at that time. But in the
> > meantime, they changed automake and its default (someone never heard
> > about backward compatibility, on the same line as someone at boost never
> > heard of it either some years ago).
> >
> > The master branch have that part fixed (and more).
>
> Well, the default download is the 3.7-stable release, which is what I installed.
> Now I downloaded master and will compile that, to see what happens.
>
> Agreed about automake. You end up having several incompatible versions
> installed. Crazy ...
>
> Tom

Ok, I built master. As you said, it's been fixed and now it compiles without
problems. That's the good news.

The bad news is that it bombed on the first script that I tested it with. On the
second script also. A malloc corrupting memory somewhere. Tomorrow I will
compile it with debug flags to see what is going on.

So I reinstalled 3.7-stable and this runs perfectly...

Tom

Post a reply to this message

"kolloid" <tom### [at] sobotanet> wrote:
> "kolloid" <tom### [at] sobotanet> wrote:
> > Le_Forgeron <jgr### [at] freefr> wrote:
> > > Le 09/02/2015 21:25, kolloid a écrit :
> > > (or where did you get it from ?)
> > >
> > > The 3.7-stable is one year old, and it worked at that time. But in the
> > > meantime, they changed automake and its default (someone never heard
> > > about backward compatibility, on the same line as someone at boost never
> > > heard of it either some years ago).
> > >
> > > The master branch have that part fixed (and more).
> >
> > Well, the default download is the 3.7-stable release, which is what I installed.
> > Now I downloaded master and will compile that, to see what happens.
> >
> > Agreed about automake. You end up having several incompatible versions
> > installed. Crazy ...
> >
> > Tom
>
> Ok, I built master. As you said, it's been fixed and now it compiles without
> problems. That's the good news.
>
> The bad news is that it bombed on the first script that I tested it with. On the
> second script also. A malloc corrupting memory somewhere. Tomorrow I will
> compile it with debug flags to see what is going on.
>
> So I reinstalled 3.7-stable and this runs perfectly...
>
> Tom

Ok, I rebuilt 3.7-master in debug mode.
The program is dying during parsing, in source/backend/math/splines.cpp,
function mkfree, at line 440. The code is:

se.resize(se.size()+1);

I notice that this code has changed from 3.7-stable (where it works, or at least
it doesn't bomb).

This happens when attempting to run the spectral rendering macros in
http://www.lilysoft.org/CGI/SR/Spectral%20Render.htm . I cannot see anything
related to splines in these macros, however.

My machine is 64 bits, running Linux Mint, based on Ubuntu 14.04.

I'm not an expert in STL, so I'm somewhat at a loss trying to find the error...

Tom