POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unix : correct URL for the git clone command Server Time
28 Mar 2024 06:56:35 EDT (-0400)
  correct URL for the git clone command (Message 1 to 4 of 4)
From: peyrol
Subject: correct URL for the git clone command
Date: 21 Dec 2014 14:15:00
Message: <web.54971aa9df7de47ba76e4980@news.povray.org>
The POVray website provides the following link to their repository:

https://github.com/POV-Ray/povray/tree/3.7-stable

So, I tried it:

david@achernar:~/POVray/POVray3.7$ git clone
https://github.com/POV-Ray/povray/tree/3.7-stable
Cloning into '3.7-stable'...
fatal: repository 'https://github.com/POV-Ray/povray/tree/3.7-stable/' not found
david@achernar:~/POVray/POVray3.7$

The man page for git-clone has this to say about URLs:

"  In general, URLs contain information about the transport protocol, the
address of the remote server, and the path to the repository. Depending on the
transport protocol, some of this information may be absent.

   Git supports ssh, git, http, and https protocols (in addition, ftp, and ftps
can be used for fetching and rsync can be used for fetching and pushing, but
these are inefficient and deprecated; do not use them).

   The native transport (i.e. git:// URL) does no authentication and should be
used with caution on unsecured networks.

   The following syntaxes may be used with them:

Apparently I need a URL which ends in .git

I have a question and a recommendation. How do I download POVray 3.7 for
my Linut Mint Debian OS? PLEASE put the explicit URL to use with git clone on
your freaking website where clueless boobs such as myself can find it. Thanks
for your time.

Post a reply to this message