POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unix : correct URL for the git clone command Server Time: 19 Jun 2019 06:54:12 GMT
  correct URL for the git clone command (Message 1 to 4 of 4)  
From: peyrol
Subject: correct URL for the git clone command
Date: 21 Dec 2014 19:15:00
Message: <web.54971aa9df7de47ba76e4980@news.povray.org>
The POVray website provides the following link to their repository:

https://github.com/POV-Ray/povray/tree/3.7-stable

So, I tried it:

david@achernar:~/POVray/POVray3.7$ git clone
https://github.com/POV-Ray/povray/tree/3.7-stable
Cloning into '3.7-stable'...
fatal: repository 'https://github.com/POV-Ray/povray/tree/3.7-stable/' not found
david@achernar:~/POVray/POVray3.7$

The man page for git-clone has this to say about URLs:

"  In general, URLs contain information about the transport protocol, the
address of the remote server, and the path to the repository. Depending on the
transport protocol, some of this information may be absent.

   Git supports ssh, git, http, and https protocols (in addition, ftp, and ftps
can be used for fetching and rsync can be used for fetching and pushing, but
these are inefficient and deprecated; do not use them).

   The native transport (i.e. git:// URL) does no authentication and should be
used with caution on unsecured networks.

   The following syntaxes may be used with them:

   ·   ssh://[user@]host.xz[:port]/path/to/repo.git/

   ·   git://host.xz[:port]/path/to/repo.git/

   ·   http[s]://host.xz[:port]/path/to/repo.git/

   ·   ftp[s]://host.xz[:port]/path/to/repo.git/

   ·   rsync://host.xz/path/to/repo.git/"

Apparently I need a URL which ends in .git

I have a question and a recommendation. How do I download POVray 3.7 for
my Linut Mint Debian OS? PLEASE put the explicit URL to use with git clone on
your freaking website where clueless boobs such as myself can find it. Thanks
for your time.


Post a reply to this message

From: Thorsten Froehlich
Subject: Re: correct URL for the git clone command
Date: 21 Dec 2014 20:35:00
Message: <web.54972e343c3960a827450b310@news.povray.org>
"peyrol" <nomail@nomail> wrote:
> The POVray website provides the following link to their repository:
>
> https://github.com/POV-Ray/povray/tree/3.7-stable
>
> So, I tried it:

Instead of cluelessly trying out commands, as you said you were doing, how about
to follow the link? After all, it should not be too hard to notice that when a
link to a webpage is provided, you should follow said link with a webbrowser. -
Then, you would find all the information on the page you land on. Instead you
decided to complain in a rude tone. The appropriate answer is RTFM or at least
the ability to use a webbrowser.


Post a reply to this message

From: peyrol
Subject: Re: correct URL for the git clone command
Date: 22 Dec 2014 13:35:01
Message: <web.54981bcd3c3960a8a76e4980@news.povray.org>
"Thorsten Froehlich" <nomail@nomail> wrote:
> "peyrol" <nomail@nomail> wrote:
> > The POVray website provides the following link to their repository:
> >
> > https://github.com/POV-Ray/povray/tree/3.7-stable
> >
> > So, I tried it:
>
> Instead of cluelessly trying out commands, as you said you were doing, how about
> to follow the link? After all, it should not be too hard to notice that when a
> link to a webpage is provided, you should follow said link with a webbrowser. -
> Then, you would find all the information on the page you land on. Instead you
> decided to complain in a rude tone. The appropriate answer is RTFM or at least
> the ability to use a webbrowser.

I apologize for my rudeness. Yes, I did follow the link. No, I did not see the
small clipboard icon on that page until it was outlined for me in a red
rectangle, in a separate reply on a different forum.

If the appropriate reply is RTFM, then please which manual do you refer to? I do
not seek to fan a flame war. Perhaps I should discuss this particular issue with
the GitHub web admins. The POVray team continues to do an outstanding job. All
I'm saying is, if basic information is easy to provide, then fewer newbies will
flail about trying to understand if it is provided.


Post a reply to this message

From: Thorsten Froehlich
Subject: Re: correct URL for the git clone command
Date: 22 Dec 2014 14:25:00
Message: <web.549829a13c3960a873428830@news.povray.org>
"peyrol" <nomail@nomail> wrote:
> If the appropriate reply is RTFM, then please which manual do you refer to?

https://help.github.com has a lot of information. I am sure you will find your
problem there as well.


Post a reply to this message

Copyright 2003-2008 Persistence of Vision Raytracer Pty. Ltd.