POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unix : compiling on linux Server Time
29 Mar 2024 11:51:52 EDT (-0400)
  compiling on linux (Message 1 to 3 of 3)
From: Rusi
Subject: compiling on linux
Date: 10 Apr 2014 15:40:00
Message: <web.5346f2d5d8eafedcd74dbcf80@news.povray.org>
After a number of days of trying to compile on linux, finally it went through
today (Yay!). amd64 ubuntu 13.10

I thought I'd mention that I had to do

.../configure COMPILED_BY="Rusi" LIBS="-lboost_date_time -lboost_thread"
--prefix=/home/...

the need for boost_thread is probably well-known but I am surprised by
boost_date_time:  Should not the overall boost_system take care of that?

The other thing I would like to ask:

Compiling 200 odd c++ files with -O3 was frying my somewhat old machine.

It was helped and speeded up by removing the -O3 from all the makefiles

Is there some way to tell configure to do that?

In the end I guess I'll put back the -O3 when the rest is ok
however its 40 deg in shade out here :-) and so a bit sweaty with repeated
compiles!

Post a reply to this message

> After a number of days of trying to compile on linux, finally it went through
> today (Yay!). amd64 ubuntu 13.10
>
> I thought I'd mention that I had to do
>
> .../configure COMPILED_BY="Rusi" LIBS="-lboost_date_time -lboost_thread"
> --prefix=/home/...
>
> the need for boost_thread is probably well-known but I am surprised by
> boost_date_time:  Should not the overall boost_system take care of that?
>
> The other thing I would like to ask:
>
> Compiling 200 odd c++ files with -O3 was frying my somewhat old machine.
>
> It was helped and speeded up by removing the -O3 from all the makefiles
>
> Is there some way to tell configure to do that?
>
> In the end I guess I'll put back the -O3 when the rest is ok
> however its 40 deg in shade out here :-) and so a bit sweaty with repeated
> compiles!

CFLAGS="-O2" CXXFLAGS=$CFLAGS ./configure

Post a reply to this message