POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unix : compiling povray 3.7 beta on ubuntu 12.04.03 64 bits Server Time: 19 Jun 2019 07:08:14 GMT
  compiling povray 3.7 beta on ubuntu 12.04.03 64 bits (Message 1 to 5 of 5)  
From: cpcbegin
Subject: compiling povray 3.7 beta on ubuntu 12.04.03 64 bits
Date: 26 Oct 2013 19:25:00
Message: <web.526c16fe3fd5ac44dd718a9c0@news.povray.org>
I try to compile lastest povray 3.7 beta on ubuntu 12.04.03 64 bits with these
commands:

wget -c
http://www.povray.org/redirect/www.povray.org/beta/source/povray-3.7.0.RC7.tar.bz2
tar -jxvf povray-3.7.0.RC7.tar.bz2
sudo apt-get install build-essential zlib1g-dev libpng12-dev libjpeg-dev
libtiff4-dev
cd povray-3.7.0.RC7/
../configure --disable-io-restrictions COMPILED_BY="my_name <mi@email.com>"
make

But at this point I can't continue due to this error:

make  all-recursive
make[1]: se ingresa al directorio «/opt/povray-3.7.0.RC7»
Making all in source
make[2]: se ingresa al directorio «/opt/povray-3.7.0.RC7/source»
Making all in backend
make[3]: se ingresa al directorio «/opt/povray-3.7.0.RC7/source/backend»
g++ -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I. -I../..  -I../.. -I../../source -I../../source
-I../../source/base -I../../unix -I../../vfe -I../../vfe/unix -pthread
-I/usr/include  -I/usr/include  -pipe -Wno-multichar -Wno-write-strings
-fno-enforce-eh-specs -s -O3 -ffast-math -march=native -pthread -MT povray.o -MD
-MP -MF .deps/povray.Tpo -c -o povray.o povray.cpp
mv -f .deps/povray.Tpo .deps/povray.Po
g++ -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I. -I../..  -I../.. -I../../source -I../../source
-I../../source/base -I../../unix -I../../vfe -I../../vfe/unix -pthread
-I/usr/include  -I/usr/include  -pipe -Wno-multichar -Wno-write-strings
-fno-enforce-eh-specs -s -O3 -ffast-math -march=native -pthread -MT splines.o
-MD -MP -MF .deps/splines.Tpo -c -o splines.o `test -f 'math/splines.cpp' ||
echo './'`math/splines.cpp
{standard input}: Assembler messages:
{standard input}:1579: Error: no such instruction: `vfmadd312sd
..LC5(%rip),%xmm7,%xmm2'
make[3]: *** [splines.o] Error 1
make[3]: se sale del directorio «/opt/povray-3.7.0.RC7/source/backend»
make[2]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[2]: se sale del directorio «/opt/povray-3.7.0.RC7/source»
make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[1]: se sale del directorio «/opt/povray-3.7.0.RC7»
make: *** [all] Error 2


Post a reply to this message

From: Le Forgeron
Subject: Re: compiling povray 3.7 beta on ubuntu 12.04.03 64 bits
Date: 26 Oct 2013 19:55:12
Message: <526c1e20@news.povray.org>
Le 26/10/2013 21:24, cpcbegin nous fit lire :
> I try to compile lastest povray 3.7 beta on ubuntu 12.04.03 64 bits with these
> commands:
> 
> wget -c
> http://www.povray.org/redirect/www.povray.org/beta/source/povray-3.7.0.RC7.tar.bz2
> tar -jxvf povray-3.7.0.RC7.tar.bz2
> sudo apt-get install build-essential zlib1g-dev libpng12-dev libjpeg-dev
> libtiff4-dev
> cd povray-3.7.0.RC7/
> ../configure --disable-io-restrictions COMPILED_BY="my_name <mi@email.com>"
> make
> 
> But at this point I can't continue due to this error:
> 
> make  all-recursive
> make[1]: se ingresa al directorio «/opt/povray-3.7.0.RC7»
> Making all in source
> make[2]: se ingresa al directorio «/opt/povray-3.7.0.RC7/source»
> Making all in backend
> make[3]: se ingresa al directorio «/opt/povray-3.7.0.RC7/source/backend»
> g++ -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I. -I../..  -I../.. -I../../source -I../../source
> -I../../source/base -I../../unix -I../../vfe -I../../vfe/unix -pthread
> -I/usr/include  -I/usr/include  -pipe -Wno-multichar -Wno-write-strings
> -fno-enforce-eh-specs -s -O3 -ffast-math -march=native -pthread -MT povray.o -MD
> -MP -MF .deps/povray.Tpo -c -o povray.o povray.cpp
> mv -f .deps/povray.Tpo .deps/povray.Po
> g++ -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I. -I../..  -I../.. -I../../source -I../../source
> -I../../source/base -I../../unix -I../../vfe -I../../vfe/unix -pthread
> -I/usr/include  -I/usr/include  -pipe -Wno-multichar -Wno-write-strings
> -fno-enforce-eh-specs -s -O3 -ffast-math -march=native -pthread -MT splines.o
> -MD -MP -MF .deps/splines.Tpo -c -o splines.o `test -f 'math/splines.cpp' ||
> echo './'`math/splines.cpp
> {standard input}: Assembler messages:
> {standard input}:1579: Error: no such instruction: `vfmadd312sd
> ..LC5(%rip),%xmm7,%xmm2'
> make[3]: *** [splines.o] Error 1
> make[3]: se sale del directorio «/opt/povray-3.7.0.RC7/source/backend»
> make[2]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
> make[2]: se sale del directorio «/opt/povray-3.7.0.RC7/source»
> make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
> make[1]: se sale del directorio «/opt/povray-3.7.0.RC7»
> make: *** [all] Error 2
> 
> 
> 

which version of g++ is that, and also important, what is your processor ?

The usual options for povray on x86_64 with g++ is :  -pipe
-Wno-multichar -Wno-write-strings -fno-enforce-eh-specs -s -O3
-ffast-math -march=native -pthread

it is rather strange that march=native allowed a generation with
unsupported assembly (unless the g++ version did not know about your
processor, or you did not update the assembler too ?)


Post a reply to this message

From: cpcbegin
Subject: Re: compiling povray 3.7 beta on ubuntu 12.04.03 64 bits
Date: 29 Oct 2013 21:05:01
Message: <web.527022a63656986860cc4a420@news.povray.org>
> which version of g++ is that, and also important, what is your processor ?
>
> The usual options for povray on x86_64 with g++ is :  -pipe
> -Wno-multichar -Wno-write-strings -fno-enforce-eh-specs -s -O3
> -ffast-math -march=native -pthread
>
> it is rather strange that march=native allowed a generation with
> unsupported assembly (unless the g++ version did not know about your
> processor, or you did not update the assembler too ?)

g++ (Ubuntu/Linaro 4.6.3-1ubuntu5) 4.6.3

My processor is Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4770 CPU @ 3.40GHz

Other interesting data:
SO: Ubuntu 12.04.03 LTS 64 bits

$ lspci
00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation 4th Gen Core Processor DRAM Controller
(rev 06)
00:01.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation Xeon E3-1200 v3/4th Gen Core Processor PCI
Express x16 Controller (rev 06)
00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation Xeon E3-1200 v3/4th Gen
Core Processor Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 06)
00:03.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation Xeon E3-1200 v3/4th Gen Core Processor
HD Audio Controller (rev 06)
00:14.0 USB controller: Intel Corporation 8 Series/C220 Series Chipset Family
USB xHCI (rev 05)
00:16.0 Communication controller: Intel Corporation 8 Series/C220 Series Chipset
Family MEI Controller #1 (rev 04)
00:1a.0 USB controller: Intel Corporation 8 Series/C220 Series Chipset Family
USB EHCI #2 (rev 05)
00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation 8 Series/C220 Series Chipset High
Definition Audio Controller (rev 05)
00:1c.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 8 Series/C220 Series Chipset Family PCI
Express Root Port #1 (rev d5)
00:1c.2 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 8 Series/C220 Series Chipset Family PCI
Express Root Port #3 (rev d5)
00:1c.5 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 8 Series/C220 Series Chipset Family PCI
Express Root Port #6 (rev d5)
00:1d.0 USB controller: Intel Corporation 8 Series/C220 Series Chipset Family
USB EHCI #1 (rev 05)
00:1f.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corporation C220 Series Chipset Family H81 Express LPC
Controller (rev 05)
00:1f.2 SATA controller: Intel Corporation 8 Series/C220 Series Chipset Family
6-port SATA Controller 1 [AHCI mode] (rev 05)
00:1f.3 SMBus: Intel Corporation 8 Series/C220 Series Chipset Family SMBus
Controller (rev 05)
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: NVIDIA Corporation GF119 [GeForce GT 610]
(rev a1)
01:00.1 Audio device: NVIDIA Corporation GF119 HDMI Audio Controller (rev a1)
03:00.0 Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8111/8168/8411
PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet Controller (rev 06)
04:00.0 Network controller: Qualcomm Atheros AR9485 Wireless Network Adapter
(rev 01)


Post a reply to this message

From: Le Forgeron
Subject: Re: compiling povray 3.7 beta on ubuntu 12.04.03 64 bits
Date: 30 Oct 2013 11:37:22
Message: <5270ef72$1@news.povray.org>
Le 29/10/2013 22:03, cpcbegin a écrit :
> g++ (Ubuntu/Linaro 4.6.3-1ubuntu5) 4.6.3
> 
> My processor is Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4770 CPU @ 3.40GHz
> 
> Other interesting data:
> SO: Ubuntu 12.04.03 LTS 64 bits

Doh... the previous thread explains how to compile with Haswell (which
i7 4770 is) and older gcc (which is too for 4.6.3 on Ubuntu 12.04 LTS)

Have a look at it (date 25 August 2013, title "How to compile 3.7RC7
with Haswell and older gcc version, my solution")

Best regards.

-- 
Just because nobody complains does not mean all parachutes are perfect.


Post a reply to this message

From: cpcbegin
Subject: Re: compiling povray 3.7 beta on ubuntu 12.04.03 64 bits
Date: 7 Nov 2013 00:45:01
Message: <web.527ae17836569868984ceb500@news.povray.org>
Thanks, it works. :)


Post a reply to this message

Copyright 2003-2008 Persistence of Vision Raytracer Pty. Ltd.