POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unix : Modeller program for use with Linux? Server Time
28 Mar 2024 14:48:53 EDT (-0400)
  Modeller program for use with Linux? (Message 1 to 10 of 31)
From: commodorejohn
Subject: Modeller program for use with Linux?
Date: 10 Aug 2011 22:45:00
Message: <web.4e4341e1ca61be1a7fc162a70@news.povray.org>
In the past I've had some fun playing around with POV-Ray via Moray for Windows
on a handful of different PCs. Recently, though, I acquired a Power Mac G5 that
I've installed Debian on, and as its overall horsepower is several times that of
even my previous P4 tower, I thought it would be nice to start using it for
rendering as well as just general Linux acclimation.

I got POV-Ray itself built and installed with no trouble; however, I'm having a
heck of a time finding a modeller to use with it. I've looked at a number of
ones from the "Links" section, but most of them appear to be dead or abandoned
years ago. Truevision looks promising, but the latest tarball is throwing errors
about conflicting declarations at me, and the CVS server doesn't seem to be
working...

All I really want here is a simple modeller along the lines of Moray that I can
use for hobby rendering, and that will build without a big fuss. Can anyone give
me some suggestions?

Post a reply to this message

On Wed, 10 Aug 2011 22:43:45 -0400, commodorejohn wrote:

> In the past I've had some fun playing around with POV-Ray via Moray for
> Windows on a handful of different PCs. Recently, though, I acquired a
> Power Mac G5 that I've installed Debian on, and as its overall
> horsepower is several times that of even my previous P4 tower, I thought
> it would be nice to start using it for rendering as well as just general
> Linux acclimation.
>
> I got POV-Ray itself built and installed with no trouble; however, I'm
> having a heck of a time finding a modeller to use with it. I've looked
> at a number of ones from the "Links" section, but most of them appear to
> be dead or abandoned years ago. Truevision looks promising, but the
> latest tarball is throwing errors about conflicting declarations at me,
> and the CVS server doesn't seem to be working...
>
> All I really want here is a simple modeller along the lines of Moray
> that I can use for hobby rendering, and that will build without a big
> fuss. Can anyone give me some suggestions?

There is (or was) a plugin for Blender to export to .pov, but Blender is
a fairly complex piece of software.

Have a look at Wings3D.  It's a subdivision modeler, but there is a povray
export plugin for it that seems to work pretty well last I remember.

Jim

Post a reply to this message