POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unix : Make Install Fails Server Time
18 Apr 2024 14:56:09 EDT (-0400)
  Make Install Fails (Message 1 to 4 of 4)
From: JP
Subject: Make Install Fails
Date: 22 Mar 2011 14:40:01
Message: <web.4d88ecddf2ad36fdda1abfc20@news.povray.org>
Hi folks,

First of all fantastic bit of software you have here ...

Trying to install povray-3.7.0.RC3 on OS Ubuntu 64-bit 10.04

I followed the INSTALL text file and had a look around but I cannot seem to find
a solution to my problem...

I tried the following:

1.  I unzipped the source in /home/jpebe/dphil/apps/povray-3.7.0.RC3
2.  I configured using:

../configure COMPILED_BY="JP <...@inhibox.com>"
--with-boost=/usr/local/boost_1_46_1
--prefix=/home/jpebe/dphil/apps/povray-3.7.0.RC3/

3.  make check install  #without sudo since I have write permissions in the
prefix dir

4. This annoyingly fails with this error message:

Creating data directories...
Copying data files...
Creating documentation directories...
Copying documentation files...
Creating user directories...
chown: changing ownership of `/home/jpebe/.povray': Operation not permitted
chown: changing ownership of `/home/jpebe/.povray/3.7': Operation not permitted
make[2]: *** [install-data-local] Error 1
make[2]: Leaving directory `/mnt/jpebe/dphil/apps/povray-3.7.0.RC3'
make[1]: *** [install-am] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory `/mnt/jpebe/dphil/apps/povray-3.7.0.RC3'
make: *** [install-recursive] Error 1

Mind you -  I am logged in as user "jpebe", and the install part is the problem.

5. I did the chuck norris thing here and fired a "sudo make install" and the
installation than goes through...

BUT this is what I get:

~$ povray
povray: This is a RELEASE CANDIDATE version of POV-Ray. General distribution is
discouraged.
Segmentation fault
~$ /home/jpebe/dphil/apps/povray-3.7.0.RC3/bin/povray
povray: This is a RELEASE CANDIDATE version of POV-Ray. General distribution is
discouraged.
No input file provided

Can anyone explain why is this? And can we have better error messages than
"Segmentation Fault" ?

Many thanks, awaiting eagerly anything which will get me a working povray
installation,
JP

Post a reply to this message

On Tue, 22 Mar 2011 14:39:25 -0400, JP wrote:

> chown: changing ownership of `/home/jpebe/.povray': Operation not
> permitted chown: changing ownership of `/home/jpebe/.povray/3.7':
> Operation not permitted make[2]: *** [install-data-local] Error 1

You don't have permission to write to the destination directory.

make install is usually done as root, unless you're installing to a local
directory.  Check the ownership and rights to the indicated directory.

> ~$ povray
> povray: This is a RELEASE CANDIDATE version of POV-Ray. General
> distribution is discouraged.
> Segmentation fault
> ~$ /home/jpebe/dphil/apps/povray-3.7.0.RC3/bin/povray povray: This is a
> RELEASE CANDIDATE version of POV-Ray. General distribution is
> discouraged.
> No input file provided
>
> Can anyone explain why is this? And can we have better error messages
> than "Segmentation Fault" ?

You got one:  No input file provided.

Try launching with a valid command line and see how it works.  It
*shouldn't* segfault (BTW, that is passed by the OS, not by the program,
so there's not a lot the POV-Ray team can do to change that message since
it's generated by the OS).

You can get more info about the cause of the segfault and file a bug by
running it under gdb.

Jim

Post a reply to this message

> On Tue, 22 Mar 2011 14:39:25 -0400, JP wrote:
>
> > chown: changing ownership of `/home/jpebe/.povray': Operation not
> > permitted chown: changing ownership of `/home/jpebe/.povray/3.7':
> > Operation not permitted make[2]: *** [install-data-local] Error 1
>
> You don't have permission to write to the destination directory.
>
> make install is usually done as root, unless you're installing to a local
> directory.  Check the ownership and rights to the indicated directory.

I run the process as user "jpebe" and that is my home directory.
But somehow this directory (in ~/) is created under another user:

drwxrwxrwx  3 thomas thomas     4096 2011-03-22 18:15 .povray

?!  I cannot understand why this is happening..  even so everyone has
permissions to write to this directory...

> > ~$ povray
> > povray: This is a RELEASE CANDIDATE version of POV-Ray. General
> > distribution is discouraged.
> > Segmentation fault
> > ~$ /home/jpebe/dphil/apps/povray-3.7.0.RC3/bin/povray povray: This is a
> > RELEASE CANDIDATE version of POV-Ray. General distribution is
> > discouraged.
> > No input file provided
> >
> > Can anyone explain why is this? And can we have better error messages
> > than "Segmentation Fault" ?
>
> You got one:  No input file provided.
>
> Try launching with a valid command line and see how it works.  It
> *shouldn't* segfault (BTW, that is passed by the OS, not by the program,
> so there's not a lot the POV-Ray team can do to change that message since
> it's generated by the OS).
>
> You can get more info about the cause of the segfault and file a bug by
> running it under gdb.
>
> Jim

How do you run povray using gdb ?

Post a reply to this message

> Jim Henderson<nos### [at] nospamcom>  wrote:
>> On Tue, 22 Mar 2011 14:39:25 -0400, JP wrote:
>>
>>> chown: changing ownership of `/home/jpebe/.povray': Operation not
>>> permitted chown: changing ownership of `/home/jpebe/.povray/3.7':
>>> Operation not permitted make[2]: *** [install-data-local] Error 1
>>
>> You don't have permission to write to the destination directory.
>>
>> make install is usually done as root, unless you're installing to a local
>> directory.  Check the ownership and rights to the indicated directory.
>>

> I run the process as user "jpebe" and that is my home directory.
> But somehow this directory (in ~/) is created under another user:
>
> drwxrwxrwx  3 thomas thomas     4096 2011-03-22 18:15 .povray
>
> ?!  I cannot understand why this is happening..  even so everyone has
> permissions to write to this directory...
>

>>> ~$ povray
>>> povray: This is a RELEASE CANDIDATE version of POV-Ray. General
>>> distribution is discouraged.
>>> Segmentation fault
>>> ~$ /home/jpebe/dphil/apps/povray-3.7.0.RC3/bin/povray povray: This is a
>>> RELEASE CANDIDATE version of POV-Ray. General distribution is
>>> discouraged.
>>> No input file provided
>>>
>>> Can anyone explain why is this? And can we have better error messages
>>> than "Segmentation Fault" ?
>>
>> You got one:  No input file provided.
>>
>> Try launching with a valid command line and see how it works.  It
>> *shouldn't* segfault (BTW, that is passed by the OS, not by the program,
>> so there's not a lot the POV-Ray team can do to change that message since
>> it's generated by the OS).
>>
>> You can get more info about the cause of the segfault and file a bug by
>> running it under gdb.
>>
>> Jim
>
> How do you run povray using gdb ?

have to compile that in (gdb) ... using --enable-debug configure option,
and as the other jim noted you should provide some kind of command line
parameter ... try povray -version at the bare minimum just to test that
your build worked proper. here's a an article that can help get you
going with gdb:

http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/library/l-gdb/

to summarize first do:

gdb povray

then when you get the (gdb) prompt do:

run ~somepathname/to-a/scene-or-ini-file/test.pov

it should be in a directory that you have write capability