POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unix : Running povray from PHP Server Time
25 Apr 2024 04:48:23 EDT (-0400)
  Running povray from PHP (Message 1 to 2 of 2)
From: Kaleb
Subject: Running povray from PHP
Date: 29 Jan 2011 20:25:00
Message: <web.4d44bcaecfee7dc585687fbc0@news.povray.org>
I want to run pov from php.  Apache runs as root.  But I can't be root on my
hosting account.  So when I installed it, it was as non-root.  So I figured I
can sudo -u <my non-root user name> but my non-root user name is not in
/etc/sudoers.  POVRay can not find a config file to run.

Is there some way I can tell POVRay to look at a config file I specify?

I sent a message to the hosters for them to put my non-root user name in the
sudoers file, but they may not want me to be running povray on their server for
obvious reasons.  I guess I should have tried to find some other more legitimate
reason for them to include my user name in the sudoers file.  Then again I'm a
pretty honest guy.  I don't think I would want to do that anyway.  Any
suggestions?

Post a reply to this message

On Sat, 29 Jan 2011 20:19:42 -0500, Kaleb wrote:

> I sent a message to the hosters for them to put my non-root user name in
> the sudoers file, but they may not want me to be running povray on their
> server for obvious reasons.  I guess I should have tried to find some
> other more legitimate reason for them to include my user name in the
> sudoers file.  Then again I'm a pretty honest guy.  I don't think I
> would want to do that anyway.  Any suggestions?

Tell them what you want to do and see how they respond.  That would be
the honest thing to do. :-)

Jim