POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unix : Installation of Linux POV-Ray Server Time
29 Mar 2024 08:39:33 EDT (-0400)
  Installation of Linux POV-Ray (Message 1 to 7 of 7)
From: Tetraboss
Subject: Installation of Linux POV-Ray
Date: 29 May 2010 11:55:00
Message: <web.4c0138267b313a54fe8f48170@news.povray.org>
When attempting to install the Linux version I got the following message-
"This machine does not seem to be a Linux PC. This version only runs on an X86
Linux machine. You can force installation by .... etc." I have looked through
the TAG stuff on Unix and could not find anything I could understand. The
machine is a 64 bit AMD running OpenSuse 11.2. Is the 64 bit the problem? I did
not want to risk forcing the installation without knowing more.

Post a reply to this message

> When attempting to install the Linux version I got the following message-
> "This machine does not seem to be a Linux PC. This version only runs on an X86
> Linux machine. You can force installation by .... etc." I have looked through
> the TAG stuff on Unix and could not find anything I could understand. The
> machine is a 64 bit AMD running OpenSuse 11.2. Is the 64 bit the problem? I did
> not want to risk forcing the installation without knowing more.

You need to at least say what version of POV-Ray you want to install, and
where you downloaded it from. Your message suggests you have some binary
version of POV-Ray?

     Thorsten

Post a reply to this message

> > When attempting to install the Linux version I got the following message-
> > "This machine does not seem to be a Linux PC. This version only runs on an X86
> > Linux machine. You can force installation by .... etc." I have looked through
> > the TAG stuff on Unix and could not find anything I could understand. The
> > machine is a 64 bit AMD running OpenSuse 11.2. Is the 64 bit the problem? I did
> > not want to risk forcing the installation without knowing more.
>
> You need to at least say what version of POV-Ray you want to install, and
> where you downloaded it from. Your message suggests you have some binary
> version of POV-Ray?
>
>      Thorsten

The version is "POV-Ray 3.6 for PC - Linux binary version" ( povlinux.tgz)
downloaded from the Linux section of this website.

Tetraboss

Post a reply to this message

> The version is "POV-Ray 3.6 for PC - Linux binary version" ( povlinux.tgz)
> downloaded from the Linux section of this website.

That is only 32 bit indeed, so unless you have everything installed for 32
bit compatibility, it is better to use the source version (also on the
website) and compile it yourself.

	Thorsten

Post a reply to this message

> > The version is "POV-Ray 3.6 for PC - Linux binary version" ( povlinux.tgz)
> > downloaded from the Linux section of this website.
>
> That is only 32 bit indeed, so unless you have everything installed for 32
> bit compatibility, it is better to use the source version (also on the
> website) and compile it yourself.
>
>  Thorsten

I will attempt that. I expect it will take me a day or so to get organised. I
will let you know what happens.

Thanks, Tetraboss

Post a reply to this message

On Sun, 30 May 2010 11:56:29 +0200, Thorsten Froehlich <tho### [at] trfde>
wrote:

> On 30.05.10 11:49, Tetraboss wrote:
>> The version is "POV-Ray 3.6 for PC - Linux binary version" (
>> povlinux.tgz)
>> downloaded from the Linux section of this website.
>
> That is only 32 bit indeed, so unless you have everything installed for
> 32 bit compatibility, it is better to use the source version (also on
> the website) and compile it yourself.
>
> 	Thorsten

So that's why I couldn't install Pov-Ray on 64 bit Ubuntu

-Nekar Xenos-

Post a reply to this message