POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unix : Make failure for povray 3.6.1 on Snow Leopard Server Time
29 Mar 2024 03:32:51 EDT (-0400)
  Make failure for povray 3.6.1 on Snow Leopard (Message 1 to 8 of 8)
From: wilson
Subject: Make failure for povray 3.6.1 on Snow Leopard
Date: 15 Nov 2009 12:15:00
Message: <web.4b003604e6aab9b284c5a5cd0@news.povray.org>
Hello All,
I am attempting to compile and install povray3.6.1 on a Mac Pro dual quad core
running Snow Leopard.  While configure complains of the following errors (will
email config.log to interested parties), it exits 0:

onfigure:3930: checking dependency style of gcc
configure:4013: result: gcc3
configure:4035: checking how to run the C preprocessor
configure:4071: gcc -E  conftest.c
configure:4077: $? = 0
configure:4109: gcc -E  conftest.c
configure:4116:28: error: ac_nonexistent.h: No such file or directory
configure:4115: $? = 1
configure: failed program was:
| #line 4100 "configure"
| /* confdefs.h.  */

An attempt at make fails immediately with the following error:

make  all-recursive
Making all in libraries
Making all in png
make[3]: *** No rule to make target `all'.  Stop.
make[2]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make: *** [all] Error 2

Any advice would be much appreciated.  Again, config.log available upon request.
Best regards,
Mark

Post a reply to this message

> I am attempting to compile and install povray3.6.1 on a Mac Pro dual quad core
> running Snow Leopard.  While configure complains of the following errors (will
> email config.log to interested parties), it exits 0:
>
> onfigure:3930: checking dependency style of gcc
> configure:4013: result: gcc3
> configure:4035: checking how to run the C preprocessor
> configure:4071: gcc -E  conftest.c
> configure:4077: $? = 0
> configure:4109: gcc -E  conftest.c
> configure:4116:28: error: ac_nonexistent.h: No such file or directory
> configure:4115: $? = 1
> configure: failed program was:
> | #line 4100 "configure"
> | /* confdefs.h.  */

This is no reason to be alarmed: The configure script does not only
verify that certain constructs work, but also that others fail. As the
file that wasn't found bears the suspicious name "ac_nonexistent.h", I
presume it is not intended to be found. (It seems this construct is used
by the configure script to check whether the compiler returns a proper
exit code when it fails.)

As a matter of fact, I see exactly the same "error" report in the
config.log of a perfectly successful build.

> An attempt at make fails immediately with the following error:
>
> make  all-recursive
> Making all in libraries
> Making all in png
> make[3]: *** No rule to make target `all'.  Stop.
> make[2]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
> make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
> make: *** [all] Error 2

That, however, /is/ a reason to be alarmed. You may want to check
whether .../libraries/png/Makefile exists, and contains (among others)
the following lines (somewhere around line 180 in my case):

all: config.h
	$(MAKE) $(AM_MAKEFLAGS) all-am

Ironically, normally you'd probably live happy without libpng being
built from scratch and statically linked into POV-Ray, but a flaw in the
configure script makes it think that your installed libpng is too old to
be of any use. (At least I can't believe Snow Leopard would ship with a
libpng even older than 1.2.5, which is what POV-Ray 3.6.1 wants.)

You may try hacking the configure script to circumvent building libpng
altogether, by changing the line:

required_libpng_version="1.2.5"

(should be line 1389 as far as I can tell) to instead read:

required_libpng_version="1.2.0"

Post a reply to this message