POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unix : Pausing processes between reboots Server Time
17 May 2024 02:29:22 EDT (-0400)
  Pausing processes between reboots (Message 11 to 13 of 13)
From: Jim Henderson
Subject: Re: Pausing processes between reboots
Date: 7 Jun 2009 17:01:49
Message: <4a2c2abd$1@news.povray.org>
On Sun, 07 Jun 2009 14:41:04 -0400, Valerij Rozouvan wrote:

> Here in Kiev, Ukraine (at least my part of the town) we get power
> outages at least once a month that last for more than my UPS can handle.
> So perhaps the question I should ask: what is a good UPS scheme that
> would enable my PC to run for a day?

A fair point, and one I hadn't considered. :-)

Becomes a bit of a trick to balance performance and power savings when
the power goes out.  If you're using a UPS daemon, you might cut the
system's performance setting to the minimum setting rather than leaving
it at "performance" (or whatever your distro's powersaved setting is for
high performance computing) - set it up to power the monitor off as well
when on the UPS and that should help (assuming your monitor is connected
to your UPS).

Of course, getting a day out of the UPS is going to be pushing it - I've
managed to get several hours out of my APC UPSes by shutting down all
nonessential equipment when the power cuts out here.  But at the same
time, a hibernate when the UPS' battery power is relatively low would
also save you having to restart the render for the current line.

I'd also look at the suggestions clipka made as regards setting the
threshold and antialias depth.  I once ran a render that took about 4
months to run with the settings set to where you've got them set, and
compared the output image to a render with settings set to a saner level
and I couldn't see any difference between the two renders.  (I may even
have done a binary comparison and found no differences, it's been a few
years and I don't recall).

That should also help. :-)

Jim

Post a reply to this message