POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unix : Ubuntu package puts components in non-standard places? Server Time
11 May 2024 07:59:00 EDT (-0400)
  Ubuntu package puts components in non-standard places? (Message 1 to 7 of 7)
From: gregjohn
Subject: Ubuntu package puts components in non-standard places?
Date: 13 Nov 2007 12:40:00
Message: <web.4739e0488a83e52340d56c170@news.povray.org>
Hello.

On a feisty kubuntu box which has installed:
http://packages.ubuntu.com/feisty/graphics/povray-3.6

I cannot get megapov to ./install.  Jaime thought perhaps if this isn't working,
that kubuntu's povray might be installing files in non-standard places.

Could the maintainer do something differently?  Short of me compiling something,
are there any simple tricks for getting it going on my kubuntu box?

Post a reply to this message

> On a feisty kubuntu box which has installed:
> http://packages.ubuntu.com/feisty/graphics/povray-3.6
>
> I cannot get megapov to ./install.  Jaime thought perhaps if this isn't working,
> that kubuntu's povray might be installing files in non-standard places.
>
> Could the maintainer do something differently?  Short of me compiling something,
> are there any simple tricks for getting it going on my kubuntu box?

You should check with the Ubuntu / Kubuntu package maintainer. They
might be able to provide a package for megapov that will have the
correct options set.

Post a reply to this message

> On a feisty kubuntu box which has installed:
> http://packages.ubuntu.com/feisty/graphics/povray-3.6
>
> I cannot get megapov to ./install.  Jaime thought perhaps if this isn't working,
> that kubuntu's povray might be installing files in non-standard places.
>
> Could the maintainer do something differently?  Short of me compiling something,
> are there any simple tricks for getting it going on my kubuntu box?

I tried to use the povray version from the repos a few ubuntu versions
ago.  While it did /work/, it was a bit problematic and the preview
display while the work was rendering simply filled with '.' if I
remember correctly.

If you d/l the source code and compile it, things seem to work much
better.  Plus, a simple 'make uninstall' will always clean things up if
something still doesn't work for you.

-->Jeff

Post a reply to this message

>> On a feisty kubuntu box which has installed:
>> http://packages.ubuntu.com/feisty/graphics/povray-3.6
>>
>> I cannot get megapov to ./install.  Jaime thought perhaps if this
>> isn't working,
>> that kubuntu's povray might be installing files in non-standard places.
>>
>> Could the maintainer do something differently?  Short of me compiling
>> something,
>> are there any simple tricks for getting it going on my kubuntu box?
>>

> I tried to use the povray version from the repos a few ubuntu versions
> ago.  While it did /work/, it was a bit problematic and the preview
> display while the work was rendering simply filled with '.' if I
> remember correctly.
>
> If you d/l the source code and compile it, things seem to work much
> better.  Plus, a simple 'make uninstall' will always clean things up if
> something still doesn't work for you.
>
> -->Jeff
I just used the standard Linux version direct from povray.org, and it
seems to work fine.  (Although I have to confess that I haven't used
Ubuntu or POV-ray all that much.  I usually run Fedora, but I like to
"dabble" with other distros, and POV-ray is usually the first thing I
install.  And my testing was limited to rendering a few of the standard
samples in the scenes directory.)

One minor hint...

Uncompressing the install .tgz file creates a temporary install
directory (povray-3.6).  After you run the install script from there (as
root) you can delete this directory because all the files are copied to
their proper final locations.  However, my hint is, before deleting
these local (temporary) files, copy (or move) the scenes directory to
someplace in your home directory.  This makes them available with you as
the owner and you can play with them or modify them all you want.  The
"real" scenes belong to root so you can't use them as readily.  (Located
at:  /usr/local/share/povray-3.6    At least, that's where it is in
Fedora, and I'm too lazy to reboot to Ubuntu right now to double check
if it's the same, but it probably is.)  OTOH, this hint is somewhat
redundant, because you can copy the scenes directly from /usr/... at any
time.  I simply find it more convenient to do it at the time it's installed.

However, I don't know anything about megapov in Ubuntu, I only have it
installed in Fedora and Windows.  But, other than trying it out to
varify that it's working, I haven't really used it at all in either of
those OS's.

      -=- Larry -=-

Post a reply to this message

From: jgentry
Date: 21 Nov 2007 00:13:27
Message: <4743be77$1@news.povray.org>
Larry Hudson wrote:

 > -<snip stuff>-
 >
> I just used the standard Linux version direct from povray.org, and it
> seems to work fine.  (Although I have to confess that I haven't used
> Ubuntu or POV-ray all that much.  I usually run Fedora, but I like to
> "dabble" with other distros, and POV-ray is usually the first thing I
> install.  And my testing was limited to rendering a few of the standard
> samples in the scenes directory.)
>
> One minor hint...
>
> Uncompressing the install .tgz file creates a temporary install
> directory (povray-3.6).  After you run the install script from there (as
> root) you can delete this directory because all the files are copied to
> their proper final locations.  However, my hint is, before deleting
> these local (temporary) files, copy (or move) the scenes directory to
> someplace in your home directory.  This makes them available with you as
> the owner and you can play with them or modify them all you want.  The
> "real" scenes belong to root so you can't use them as readily.  (Located
> at:  /usr/local/share/povray-3.6    At least, that's where it is in
> Fedora, and I'm too lazy to reboot to Ubuntu right now to double check
> if it's the same, but it probably is.)  OTOH, this hint is somewhat
> redundant, because you can copy the scenes directly from /usr/... at any
> time.  I simply find it more convenient to do it at the time it's
> installed.
>
> However, I don't know anything about megapov in Ubuntu, I only have it
> installed in Fedora and Windows.  But, other than trying it out to
> varify that it's working, I haven't really used it at all in either of
> those OS's.
>
>      -=- Larry -=-

I've found that just about everything (just about) works in Fedora.  And
well, too.  I've got to second you on the install package:  no muss, no
fuss, and it just works in Fedora.

Fedora 8 didn't work for me, however, so I'm expressing my displeasure
by going over to the Ubuntu camp for 6 months.

Compiling the package in 7.10 has given very satisfactory results and
I'm very happy with the performance.  I haven't tried MegaPov.

-->Jeff

Post a reply to this message

From: nemesis
Date: 21 Nov 2007 12:10:00
Message: <web.47446581920673bb773c9a3e0@news.povray.org>
jgentry <jge### [at] gmailcom> wrote:
> I tried to use the povray version from the repos a few ubuntu versions
> ago.  While it did /work/, it was a bit problematic and the preview
> display while the work was rendering simply filled with '.' if I
> remember correctly.

BTW, I noticed that running under the Compiz composite window manager, the
preview window runs transparent:  you hardly notice the picture.  Could it be
problems with PNG alpha channel?  I turned preview off and am relying on the
graphical file manager to get a thumbnailed preview for long renders.

Post a reply to this message

From: jgentry
Date: 22 Nov 2007 12:09:34
Message: <4745b7ce@news.povray.org>
nemesis wrote:
> jgentry <jge### [at] gmailcom> wrote:
>> I tried to use the povray version from the repos a few ubuntu versions
>> ago.  While it did /work/, it was a bit problematic and the preview
>> display while the work was rendering simply filled with '.' if I
>> remember correctly.
>
> BTW, I noticed that running under the Compiz composite window manager, the
> preview window runs transparent:  you hardly notice the picture.  Could it be
> problems with PNG alpha channel?  I turned preview off and am relying on the
> graphical file manager to get a thumbnailed preview for long renders.

Yup, I noticed that right off, too.  Thought it was just me -- if I
bring up a linux problem on the lists, it's usually just me, apparently.

As to the cause, I have no idea.  It may have something to do with the
.png alpha, but I'd vote for problems involving Compiz.  I haven't tried
rendering to a different format or even turning Compiz off.  To be
honest, I just got annoyed and started booting into Windows to use Pov.
  I think I'll give to two above options a shot later today.

-->Jeff