POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unix : povray with stdin Server Time
13 Jun 2024 12:53:13 EDT (-0400)
  povray with stdin (Message 1 to 9 of 9)
From: Peterson
Subject: povray with stdin
Date: 26 Oct 2005 05:05:01
Message: <web.435f45a6a133f8f5c8b148b80@news.povray.org>
Hi all,

I need send scene description to the povray (v. 3.6) via stdin. I read man
pages and there is "+I-", I use this but I get only error, not rendering.

My command:
cat scene.pov | povray +I-

Povray output:
Redirecting Options
  All Streams to console..........On
  Debug Stream to console.........On
  Fatal Stream to console.........On
  Render Stream to console........On
  Statistics Stream to console....On
  Warning Stream to console.......On
Parsing Options
  Input file: stdin (compatible to version 3.61)
  Remove bounds........On
  Split unions.........Off
  Library paths:
    /usr/local/share/povray-3.6
    /usr/local/share/povray-3.6/ini
    /usr/local/share/povray-3.6/include
Output Options
  Image resolution 320 by 240 (rows 1 to 240, columns 1 to 320).
  Output file: /Documents/POVRAY/stdin.png, 24 bpp PNG
  Graphic display......On  (gamma: 2.2)
  Mosaic preview.......Off
  CPU usage histogram..Off
  Continued trace......Off
Tracing Options
  Quality:  9
  Bounding boxes.......On   Bounding threshold: 3
  Light Buffer.........On
  Vista Buffer.........On   Draw Vista Buffer....Off
  Antialiasing.........Off
  Clock value:    0.000  (Animation off)

  0:00:00 Parsing
File: stdin  Line: 1
File Context (5 lines):

Parse Error: Expected 'object or directive', undeclared identifier 'Pty'
found
 instead

When I use command "povray scene.pov" rendering is OK.

Can you help me? Thanks

Post a reply to this message

> I need send scene description to the povray (v. 3.6) via stdin. I read man
> pages and there is "+I-", I use this but I get only error, not rendering.
>
> My command:
> cat scene.pov | povray +I-

I wanted to suggest to use a fifo this way.

mkfifo myfifo
cat scene.pov > myfifo &
povray +Imyfifo

but it does not work.