POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unix : Povray 3.6 on Mandrake 10.0 Server Time
1 Jun 2024 05:09:12 EDT (-0400)
  Povray 3.6 on Mandrake 10.0 (Message 1 to 3 of 3)
From: Corinne
Subject: Povray 3.6 on Mandrake 10.0
Date: 8 Jul 2005 11:00:01
Message: <web.42ce944d495183dedcd256030@news.povray.org>
Hi,

I tried installing Povray 3.6 on Mandrake 10 by following the directions on
the installation page.  There were no error messages during the install
until I tried the test render and I get the following message:
  running test render...
../install: line 1312: 28814 Segmentation fault      povray
-iscenes/advanced/biscuit.pov -f +v +p -w320 -h240 +a0.3 $1

There is also a segmentation fault if I try to open Povray.  The full
install output is below.

I also have an NVidia Quadro card installed with the Nvidia drivers and I
had some problems with pymol and those drivers.
Thanks!

POV-Ray 3.6 installation
==========================

installing POV-Ray in default location (/usr/local)
Copying files...
  creating supplementary files directory (/usr/local/share/povray-3.6)...
  copying include files...
  copying sample scenes...
  copying ini files...
  copying script files...
  copying icon files...
  copying POV-Ray man page...
  copying POV-Ray executable...
  creating directory /usr/local/share/doc...
  creating directory /usr/local/share/doc/povray-3.6...
  copying POV-Ray documentation...
Finished copying files
updating system level configuration...
  creating directory /usr/local/etc/povray/3.6...
  installing new main POV-Ray ini file...
  updating main POV-Ray ini file...
  checking ini file /usr/local/etc/povray/3.6/povray.ini
    - file does not need to be modified
  installing POV-Ray configuration file...
Finished updating configuration

POV-Ray does not seem to have been previously installed
on this system.  The installation created a default
povray.ini at:

  /usr/local/etc/povray/3.6/povray.ini

which can be modified for individual requirements.

A new i/o restrictions configuation file has been created:

  /usr/local/etc/povray/3.6/povray.conf

See the documentation for how to customize the settings.

  The install script will now run a short test render
  to check if POV-Ray is correctly configured.
  This test render will be without display since this
  is will often not work correctly in superuser mode.

  Type 'R' to run the test
  Type 'S' to skip it.

Your choice ([R]/S): r

  running test render...
../install: line 1312: 28814 Segmentation fault      povray
-iscenes/advanced/biscuit.pov -f +v +p -w320 -h240 +a0.3 $1

Finished installing POV-Ray 3.6

This install script can also add some useful entries to
the KDE panel if KDE is installed.  Running:

  install kde

as a user will add entries for this user.

Post a reply to this message

> I tried installing Povray 3.6 on Mandrake 10 by following the directions on
> the installation page.  There were no error messages during the install
> until I tried the test render and I get the following message:
>   running test render...
> ../install: line 1312: 28814 Segmentation fault      povray
> -iscenes/advanced/biscuit.pov -f +v +p -w320 -h240 +a0.3 $1

Does the same happen if you run 'install test' as normal user?

Does the same happen if you just run 'povray' (which should just display
the help screens).

> I also have an NVidia Quadro card installed with the Nvidia drivers and I
> had some problems with pymol and those drivers.

Your graphics card isn't of any interest for POV-Ray.

Christoph

http://www.tu-bs.de/~y0013390/ (Last updated 01 Jul. 2005)