POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unix : 3.50c released (see caveats) Server Time
8 Jul 2024 18:56:52 EDT (-0400)
  3.50c released (see caveats) (Message 1 to 10 of 34)
From: Mark Gordon
Subject: 3.50c released (see caveats)
Date: 21 Oct 2002 22:30:36
Message: <pan.2002.10.22.02.37.29.222387@povray.org>
I've uploaded 3.50c.  The binary is pretty good (fixed various performance
issues, now building with gcc 3.2), and I/O restrictions are enabled in
the binary but disabled in a usefully commented default
/usr/local/etc/povray.conf that is installed.  Note that the install
script won't clobber a pre-existing povray.conf, so you might want to
clear yours out of the way if you have one.  This version includes a
number of other bugfixes that caused build problems on Solaris and
BSD-derived Unices.

Minor caveat: The binary is built with Pentium optimizations.  It should
run fine (and that much faster) on Pentium or newer hardware.  If you're
running on less than a Pentium, you may need to recompile, and you may
want to consider a different hobby than ray-tracing. ;-)  If you have
sufficiently newer hardware and a sufficiently good compiler, you may want
to recompile for your specific arch, but that's up to you.

Major caveat: I realized after I'd finished uploading that the default
compiler flags also assume Pentium and are probably fairly gcc-specific. I
need to implement some decent configure options in that regard. Non-x86,
non-gcc users will need to edit src/Makefile for now.  Consider yourselves
warned.  I should have a fix up soon. The 3.50d binary probably won't be
different, unless there are other problems.

I did some research and found that I should distribute the object files I
got from the build if I want to distribute binaries which are statically
linked against LGPL libraries.  There's now a povobj.tar.gz file in the
ftp directory in case anyone wants them, along with a file containing the
link line I used.

-Mark Gordon

Post a reply to this message

> I've uploaded 3.50c.  The binary is pretty good (fixed various performance
> issues, now building with gcc 3.2), and I/O restrictions are enabled in
> the binary but disabled in a usefully commented default
> /usr/local/etc/povray.conf that is installed.  Note that the install
> script won't clobber a pre-existing povray.conf, so you might want to
> clear yours out of the way if you have one.  This version includes a
> number of other bugfixes that caused build problems on Solaris and
> BSD-derived Unices.
> [...]

Nice, but i miss the list of changes from the first release to 3.50c (in
3.1 this was in 'revision.doc').  The 'ChangeLog' file's latest entry is
from 8 July 2002.

Christoph

--
POV-Ray tutorials, IsoWood include,