POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unix : POV-Ray v3.8.0-beta.1 Server Time
28 Mar 2024 10:33:49 EDT (-0400)
  POV-Ray v3.8.0-beta.1 (Message 11 to 20 of 28)
<<< Previous 10 Messages Goto Latest 10 Messages Next 8 Messages >>>
From: BayashiPascal
Subject: Re: POV-Ray v3.8.0-beta.1
Date: 13 Jul 2021 02:25:00
Message: <web.60ed30a3b74fb8afa3e088d5e0f8c582@news.povray.org>
> It's official now:
>
> https://github.com/POV-Ray/povray/releases/tag/v3.8.0-beta.1
>

> A note to Unix users:
>
> We're now providing Unix-specific source code packages again. We
> recommend that you build from the `povunix-*.tar.gz` tarball, rather
> than the "Source code (tar.gz)" or "Source code (zip)" packages or the
> raw repo contents.
>

> A note to Windows XP users:
>
> Let us know if there are still any of you out there. Otherwise we'll
> presume that Vista (and higher) support should be enough for everybody.
>

> Happy Testing!

I could install and run the benchmark without any problems on two Linux
machines.

Thank you Clipka.

Post a reply to this message

From: jr
Date: 14 Jul 2021 05:35:00
Message: <web.60eeafa2b74fb8af5e0fed26cde94f1@news.povray.org>
> Am 12.07.2021 um 00:02 schrieb jr:
>
> >> I think I've found something ...

there was one other (small) thing, forgot to mention.  during installation, if
another 3.8 version already exists, the old 'povray.{conf,ini}' files get
renamed to '*.bak' and new files are put in place.  this has the disadvantage
that the existing povray no longer works as configured.  the usual practice is
to leave existing files alone if found, and create the distributed as
'povray.{conf,ini}.new'; "admin" then integrates manually.

regards, jr.

Post a reply to this message

> there was one other (small) thing, forgot to mention.  during installation, if
> another 3.8 version already exists, the old 'povray.{conf,ini}' files get
> renamed to '*.bak' and new files are put in place.  this has the disadvantage
> that the existing povray no longer works as configured.  the usual practice is
> to leave existing files alone if found, and create the distributed as
> 'povray.{conf,ini}.new'; "admin" then integrates manually.

Can you please file an issue report on GitHub, to put a propoer pin in this?

I tend to lose track of stuff mentioned only on the newsgroups.

Post a reply to this message

> > there was one other (small) thing, forgot to mention.  during installation, if
> > another 3.8 version already exists, the old 'povray.{conf,ini}' files get
> > renamed to '*.bak' and new files are put in place.  this has the disadvantage
> > that the existing povray no longer works as configured.  the usual practice is
> > to leave existing files alone if found, and create the distributed as
> > 'povray.{conf,ini}.new'; "admin" then integrates manually.
>
> Can you please file an issue report on GitHub, to put a propoer pin in this?

went there, cannot add an "issue" without acquiring an account.  sorry.

> I tend to lose track of stuff mentioned only on the newsgroups.

perhaps a "kind soul" with github membership followed this thread and will
create the report.

regards, jr.

Post a reply to this message