POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unix : POV-Ray related notes on upgrade to Ubuntu 20.04.1 Server Time
28 Mar 2024 14:55:24 EDT (-0400)
  POV-Ray related notes on upgrade to Ubuntu 20.04.1 (Message 1 to 5 of 5)
From: William F Pokorny
Subject: POV-Ray related notes on upgrade to Ubuntu 20.04.1
Date: 1 Oct 2020 05:03:26
Message: <5f759b5e$1@news.povray.org>
Notes on what I noticed related to POV-Ray.

I've upgraded my main machine to Ubuntu 20.04.1. While I do my own
compiles and run time set ups. I did look some at the povray package
and into couple of "no longer supported by Canonical packages" used by
those compiling there own versions of povray.

With the later, the support for doxygen and sld1.2 development packages
apparently no longer comes from Canonical - but they are still Debian
packages and installed/install-able. In other words the Debian packages
are now used straight up is the change.

In a surprise - to me at least - the Debian folks (bullseye) have split
the povray (1:3.7.0.8) installation into several packages:

fonts-povray - Persistence of vision raytracer (3D renderer) fonts

povray - Persistence of vision raytracer (3D renderer)

povray-doc - Persistence of vision raytracer (3D renderer) documentation

povray-examples - Persistence of vision raytracer (3D renderer) sample files

povray-includes - Persistence of vision raytracer (3D renderer) include
files

I think this sort of split a good idea. It more or less matches what
I've done in povr for my own development. Excepting, thus far I've kept
a few core include files(8) with povray itself. The functions.inc file
especially is strongly coupled/aligned to the particular povray compile
due the inbuilt (c++ compiled) functions.

I think all good. I was worried about the includes, but that package is
marked as a recommended one so it will get installed too - unless a user
does something uncommon to suppress the installation of recommended
packages. Further the fonts are in the include package too as always so
povray will find them.

Props to the Debian package folks for fonts-povray. What they've done
there is create a package putting the povray fonts in:

/usr/share/fonts/truetype/povray/crystal.ttf
/usr/share/fonts/truetype/povray/cyrvetic.ttf
/usr/share/fonts/truetype/povray/povlogo.ttf
/usr/share/fonts/truetype/povray/timrom.ttf

which means a good many editors will pick them up if that package is
installed.

The one other change I picked up is the scene files are now installed
in: /usr/share/doc/povray/examples. The scenes were previously installed
in: /usr/share/povray/scenes.

Aside: With previous debian/ubuntu/other-linux packages or if using the
usual build and install scripts yourself, 'povray' likely 'povray-3.7'
or similar on your system. Further, the directories involved might be
/usr/local/share over /usr/share.

Bill P.

Post a reply to this message

I am going to try running POV under Ubuntu soon.

Is there an installation tutorial somewhere?

What editor do you recommend? I would prefer something like the Windows
editor so I don't have to learn multiple things at the same time.

Thanks.

Mike

On 10/1/2020 5:03 AM, William F Pokorny wrote:
> Notes on what I noticed related to POV-Ray.
>
> I've upgraded my main machine to Ubuntu 20.04.1. While I do my own
> compiles and run time set ups. I did look some at the povray package
> and into couple of "no longer supported by Canonical packages" used by
> those compiling there own versions of povray.
>
> With the later, the support for doxygen and sld1.2 development packages
> apparently no longer comes from Canonical - but they are still Debian
> packages and installed/install-able. In other words the Debian packages
> are now used straight up is the change.
>
> In a surprise - to me at least - the Debian folks (bullseye) have split
> the povray (1:3.7.0.8) installation into several packages:
>
> fonts-povray - Persistence of vision raytracer (3D renderer) fonts
>
> povray - Persistence of vision raytracer (3D renderer)
>
> povray-doc - Persistence of vision raytracer (3D renderer) documentation
>
> povray-examples - Persistence of vision raytracer (3D renderer) sample
> files
>
> povray-includes - Persistence of vision raytracer (3D renderer) include
> files
>
> I think this sort of split a good idea. It more or less matches what
> I've done in povr for my own development. Excepting, thus far I've kept
> a few core include files(8) with povray itself. The functions.inc file
> especially is strongly coupled/aligned to the particular povray compile
> due the inbuilt (c++ compiled) functions.
>
> I think all good. I was worried about the includes, but that package is
> marked as a recommended one so it will get installed too - unless a user
> does something uncommon to suppress the installation of recommended
> packages. Further the fonts are in the include package too as always so
> povray will find them.
>
> Props to the Debian package folks for fonts-povray. What they've done
> there is create a package putting the povray fonts in:
>
> /usr/share/fonts/truetype/povray/crystal.ttf
> /usr/share/fonts/truetype/povray/cyrvetic.ttf
> /usr/share/fonts/truetype/povray/povlogo.ttf
> /usr/share/fonts/truetype/povray/timrom.ttf
>
> which means a good many editors will pick them up if that package is
> installed.
>
> The one other change I picked up is the scene files are now installed
> in: /usr/share/doc/povray/examples. The scenes were previously installed
> in: /usr/share/povray/scenes.
>
> Aside: With previous debian/ubuntu/other-linux packages or if using the
> usual build and install scripts yourself, 'povray' likely 'povray-3.7'
> or similar on your system. Further, the directories involved might be
> /usr/local/share over /usr/share.
>
> Bill P.

Post a reply to this message

> I am going to try running POV under Ubuntu soon.
>
> Is there an installation tutorial somewhere?
>
> What editor do you recommend? I would prefer something like the Windows
> editor so I don't have to learn multiple things at the same time.

from what little I know, D Balaska's 'qtpovray' may be your best bet.

regards, jr.

Post a reply to this message

> I am going to try running POV under Ubuntu soon.
>
> Is there an installation tutorial somewhere?
>
> What editor do you recommend? I would prefer something like the Windows
> editor so I don't have to learn multiple things at the same time.
>
> Thanks.

Linux Mint is derived from Ubuntu. This worked for me.

mkdir src
cd src
wget https://github.com/POV-Ray/povray/archive/3.7-stable.zip
unzip 3.7-stable.zip