POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unix : Location of pvengine.ini Server Time
28 Mar 2024 07:51:38 EDT (-0400)
  Location of pvengine.ini (Message 1 to 6 of 6)
From: Bald Eagle
Subject: Location of pvengine.ini
Date: 20 Aug 2020 17:00:08
Message: <web.5f3ee328e77ba05c1f9dae300@news.povray.org>
Is there some sort of directory listing for where all of the files for POV-Ray
get installed?

I'm trying to address "Execution of shellout 'mv' prohibited"
by editing the pvengine.ini file - but I don't know where it is.

[I am using DB's QtPOV-Ray 3.8 - but he seems to be having a rough time...]
I didn't see anything on the buckosoft site regarding this particular file.
http://www.buckosoft.com/qtpov/

This wasn't of much help:
http://www.povray.org/documentation/view/3.7.1/600/

I have looked in:
/home/oem/.povray
/usr/share/qtpovray-3.8
/usr/local/etc/povray
/usr/local/share/povray-3.8/ini

Where is it?

Post a reply to this message

> Is there some sort of directory listing for where all of the files for POV-Ray
> get installed?
>
> I'm trying to address "Execution of shellout 'mv' prohibited"
> by editing the pvengine.ini file - but I don't know where it is.

unless I'm mistaken, 'povengine.ini' sounds like a MS Windows thing.

> [I am using DB's QtPOV-Ray 3.8 - but he seems to be having a rough time...]
> I didn't see anything on the buckosoft site regarding this particular file.
> http://www.buckosoft.com/qtpov/
>
> This wasn't of much help:
> http://www.povray.org/documentation/view/3.7.1/600/
>
> I have looked in:
> /home/oem/.povray
> /usr/share/qtpovray-3.8
> /usr/local/etc/povray
> /usr/local/share/povray-3.8/ini
>
> Where is it?

  $ find /usr -type f -name povray.conf

regards, jr.

Post a reply to this message

> Is there some sort of directory listing for where all of the files for POV-Ray
> get installed?
>
> I'm trying to address "Execution of shellout 'mv' prohibited"
> by editing the pvengine.ini file - but I don't know where it is.
>
> [I am using DB's QtPOV-Ray 3.8 - but he seems to be having a rough time...]
> I didn't see anything on the buckosoft site regarding this particular file.
> http://www.buckosoft.com/qtpov/
>
> This wasn't of much help:
> http://www.povray.org/documentation/view/3.7.1/600/
>
> I have looked in:
> /home/oem/.povray
> /usr/share/qtpovray-3.8
> /usr/local/etc/povray
> /usr/local/share/povray-3.8/ini
>
> Where is it?

On linux pvengine.ini is called povray.ini, but I think jr is right the
shellout permission's are in povray.conf (which is just another ini file
in other than name.). This file is location usually installed in
/usr/local/etc/povray/3.8 on the system, but maybe not. There is a
similar configuration directory in your home $HOME/.povray/3.8 directory
with similar files. There can be others too... The most restrictive
setting anywhere wins with permissions. I think otherwise the last
setting of anything of a particular class wins (flag class wins over ini
settings IIRC - flexible I guess, but also can be quite tangled).

If you are able to compile your own code, you can configure with
--enable-debug and it turns on a bunch of unix specific output including
the search locations being used for the conf/ini files IIRC.

Bill P.

Post a reply to this message

From: William F Pokorny
Date: 21 Aug 2020 07:48:54
Message: <5f3fb4a6$1@news.povray.org>
On 8/21/20 7:30 AM, William F Pokorny wrote:
> On 8/20/20 4:55 PM, Bald Eagle wrote:

If you get the pre and post shell out working, would you please let us
know?

Last I tried it - v3.7 beta I think - I could not get it to work
properly, but I've not tried it since.

Bill P.

Post a reply to this message

From: jr
Date: 21 Aug 2020 08:40:08
Message: <web.5f3fbfd275cc3f424d00143e0@news.povray.org>
hi,

> On 8/21/20 7:30 AM, William F Pokorny wrote:
> > On 8/20/20 4:55 PM, Bald Eagle wrote:
>
> If you get the pre and post shell out working, would you please let us
> know?
>
> Last I tried it - v3.7 beta I think - I could not get it to work
> properly, but I've not tried it since.

I've not had any problems with those.  edited transcript:

jr@swift:3:tkm$ ls
TKM.ini  TKM1.ini  TorusKnotMinimal35.pov  mySh*  tkm.pov

jr@swift:4:tkm$ cat mySh
#!/bin/bash
echo $2 ' frame : ' $1

jr@swift:5:tkm$ c### [at] TKM1ini
width = 540
height = 540

input_file_name = tkm.pov

pre_frame_command = ./mySh %o 'pre'
post_frame_command = ./mySh %o 'post'

jr@swift:6:tkm$ pov38 TKM1
Persistence of Vision(tm) Ray Tracer Version 3.8.0-alpha.10064268.unofficial

Rendering frame 1 of 10 (#0)
pre  frame :  /tmp/render/frm_00.png

Rendering frame 1 of 10 (#0)

post  frame :  /tmp/render/frm_00.png