POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unix : X Windows display: disabled Server Time
29 Mar 2024 11:07:36 EDT (-0400)
  X Windows display: disabled (Message 11 to 20 of 48)
From: jr
Subject: Re: X Windows display: disabled
Date: 2 Oct 2018 14:30:02
Message: <web.5bb3b85d6c2a6a24b0d4fc1e0@news.povray.org>
hi,

Le_Forgeron <jgr### [at] freefr> wrote:
> Le 02/10/2018 à 13:11, Le Forgeron a écrit :
> >> I did have a look at the API (some time ago, not long after installing
> >> 3.7), as
> >> I recall there is no way of telling SDL to use a given window (id).
> > what about SDL_CreateWindowFrom() ? (just googling libsdl)

SDL2 only, not before.

> Ok, SDL2 has a migration guide and it will not be a five minutes patch
> for Povray.
> https://wiki.libsdl.org/MigrationGuide?highlight=%28SDL_WM_SetCaption%29
>
> Most calls made in Povray have been updated to new functions, so there
> might be a bit of change in logic too, and a need for detecting libsdl2
> along with libsdl1.2 (none, either or both might be present)

frankly, I'm not convinced it's worth the dependency.  previous versions had a
"proper" X window[*], and I do not understand how abandoning that made
"maintainability" easier.  all I see is a (big) library aimed at games
developers, none of its provisions used, except for the creation of a single
window.  </rant>

[*] why can that (Xlib) code not simply be ported?

regards, jr.

Post a reply to this message

> frankly, I'm not convinced it's worth the dependency.  previous versions had a
> "proper" X window[*], and I do not understand how abandoning that made
> "maintainability" easier.  all I see is a (big) library aimed at games
> developers, none of its provisions used, except for the creation of a single
> window.  </rant>

We could make povray beep and shake the mouse when it's done.

--
dik
Rendered 1024 of 921600 pixels (0%)

Post a reply to this message