POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unix : Some help needed Server Time
19 Apr 2024 15:40:16 EDT (-0400)
  Some help needed (Message 11 to 15 of 15)
From: William F Pokorny
Subject: Re: Some help needed
Date: 20 May 2017 10:30:47
Message: <59205317$1@news.povray.org>
On 05/20/2017 09:38 AM, clipka wrote:
> Am 20.05.2017 um 15:24 schrieb William F Pokorny:
>
>> One of the reasons I now find myself unwilling to duplicate the
>> pkg_config function is that it is not all that simple in total. I think
>> I'm going to bail on this work if you insist on a pkg-config like
>> solution we own.
>
> What would be the point in duplicating pkg-config in the first place?
>
> We're not using pkg-config (or anything similar) for the other
> libraries, so I see no point why we should rely on it for OpenEXR.

The reason to use pkg-config is to reliably get library compiler and
linker flags for the system and libraries where the compile is happening.

We hard code flags today except with openexr and sdl where they are
determined on the fly. If you want to hard code flags for openexr, make
that call and I'll attempt to update the .m4 file using the flags I see
being used today vie pkg-config.

My recommendation continues to be to fall back to such hard coding only
when pkg-config doesn't exist or doesn't work.

Searching for the *.pc files in the many directories where they exist,
reliably parsing them to figure out flags and the *.pc dependencies so
we can reliably have flags current with the libraries is not a trivial
task. I'm not myself going to do that work mostly because it looks to me
to duplicate a significant function of pkg-config.

Bill P.

Post a reply to this message