POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unix : ubuntu 16.04 burp Server Time
18 Apr 2024 01:26:14 EDT (-0400)
  ubuntu 16.04 burp (Message 1 to 2 of 2)
From: dick balaska
Subject: ubuntu 16.04 burp
Date: 5 Feb 2017 03:46:14
Message: <5896e656$1@news.povray.org>
Apparently, I updated this box from ubuntu 14.04 to 16.04 last year,
(since I last ran my renderfarm) and my homebuilt povray371 dies. (I'm
ok with that)

$ git clone https://github.com/POV-Ray/povray.git
$ git checkout release/v3.7.1

$ cd unix ; ./prebuild.sh ; cd ..
$ ./configure BY="me"

checking whether to use the PNG library... yes
checking for library containing png_get_libpng_ver... no
configure: error: cannot find a suitable PNG library

No -lpng ? How odd.
Google says I want libpng12, which is what I have.

dig dig dig.

sudo apt-get install libpng-dev
sudo apt-get install libjpeg-dev
sudo apt-get install libtiff-dev

Wait. I saw a list somewhere someone had put together of these. Boy that
would be helpful now.

$ make
$ unix/povray
and we're on our way
--
dik

Post a reply to this message

Am 05.02.2017 um 09:46 schrieb dick balaska:

> checking whether to use the PNG library... yes
> checking for library containing png_get_libpng_ver... no
> configure: error: cannot find a suitable PNG library
>
> No -lpng ? How odd.
> Google says I want libpng12, which is what I have.
>
> dig dig dig.
>
> sudo apt-get install libpng-dev
> sudo apt-get install libjpeg-dev
> sudo apt-get install libtiff-dev
>
> Wait. I saw a list somewhere someone had put together of these. Boy that
> would be helpful now.

You mean, like the list in "unix\README.md"? ;)

I concede POV-Ray for Unix/Linux would greatly benefit from someone
investing some TLC into the installation instructions, and maybe also
the installation procedure as such.

Ideally, that person would be a regular Unix/Linux user. I, for
instance, am not.