POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unix : Ideal Linux distribution Server Time
29 Mar 2024 09:36:55 EDT (-0400)
  Ideal Linux distribution (Message 1 to 10 of 15)
From: clipka
Subject: Ideal Linux distribution
Date: 2 Jan 2016 12:30:21
Message: <5688092d@news.povray.org>
Hi folks,

can someone recommend a Linux distribution satisfying the following
requirements:

- 64 bit
- long-term support
- headless operation
- FAST remote GUI access from a Windows desktop

or provide me with some advice on how to set up a system based on some
LTS distro in this manner?

The intention is to have a Linux box tucked away in the corner to run
POV-Ray build and/or performance tests on it, or the occasional
time-consuming render, while sticking to my Windows machine for daily use.

I've been using openSUSE for a while now in this role (and Debian before
that), but I'm dissatisfied with both the lifespan of the major releases
as well as the performance of the user interface (KDE, if I'm not
mistaken) when accessed remotely via Xming.

Post a reply to this message