POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unix : Problem while trying to install libjpeg8-dev Server Time
29 Mar 2024 01:07:10 EDT (-0400)
  Problem while trying to install libjpeg8-dev (Message 1 to 5 of 5)
From: Jörg 'Yadgar' Bleimann
Subject: Problem while trying to install libjpeg8-dev
Date: 25 Jun 2015 19:23:20
Message: <558c8d68$1@news.povray.org>
Hi(gh)!

Now I embarked on the long, long journey to GeoPOV, my binary mesh patch
project aimed at creating slices of planetary surfaces from image files
or even ASCII elevation data without generating gigabytes of ASCII code
overhead (see also thread on povray.general)... first station will be
compiling the current stable POV-Ray 3.7 distribution from GitHub under
Linux.

unix/README.md recommends to have (among others) libjpeg8-dev
pre-installed before starting the prebuild.sh script. When I tried this:

apt-get install libjpeg8-dev

I got the following error message (translated from German):

Die folgenden Pakete haben unerfüllte Abhängigkeiten:
  libjpeg8-dev : Hängt ab von: libjpeg8 (= 8b-1) aber 8d-1+deb7u1 soll
installiert werden

The following packages have unsolved dependences_
   libjpeg8-dev : Depends on: libjpeg8 (= 8b-1) but 8d-1+deb7u1 shall be
installed

How can I fix this?

See you in Khyberspace!

Yadgar

Post a reply to this message

Am 26.06.2015 um 01:23 schrieb Jörg 'Yadgar' Bleimann:
> Hi(gh)!
>
> Now I embarked on the long, long journey to GeoPOV, my binary mesh patch
> project aimed at creating slices of planetary surfaces from image files
> or even ASCII elevation data without generating gigabytes of ASCII code
> overhead (see also thread on povray.general)... first station will be
> compiling the current stable POV-Ray 3.7 distribution from GitHub under
> Linux.
>
> unix/README.md recommends to have (among others) libjpeg8-dev
> pre-installed before starting the prebuild.sh script. When I tried this:
>
> apt-get install libjpeg8-dev
>
> I got the following error message (translated from German):
>
> Die folgenden Pakete haben unerfüllte Abhängigkeiten:
>   libjpeg8-dev : Hängt ab von: libjpeg8 (= 8b-1) aber 8d-1+deb7u1 soll
> installiert werden
>
> The following packages have unsolved dependences_
>    libjpeg8-dev : Depends on: libjpeg8 (= 8b-1) but 8d-1+deb7u1 shall be
> installed

The corresponding English message would actually be:

  libjpeg8-dev : Depends: libjpeg8 (= 8b-1) but 8d-1+deb7u1 is to be
installed

As far as I understand, this means that libjpeg8 version 8b-1 is
currently installed on your system, but the most recent libjpeg8-dev
version is 8d-1+deb7u1; apt-get is complaining that they don't fit together.

You need to either specifically install the libjpeg8-dev matching your
installed libjpeg8, which (as far as I understand) the following command
should do:

   apt-get install libjpeg8-dev=8b-1

or you need to upgrade libjpeg8 to the most recent version:

   apt-get upgrade libjpeg8