POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unix : Max-gradient warning Server Time: 20 Jun 2019 20:03:30 GMT
  Max-gradient warning (Message 1 to 4 of 4)  
From: Doctor John
Subject: Max-gradient warning
Date: 30 Jan 2014 01:31:27
Message: <52e9ab6f$1@news.povray.org>
I may be mistaken but has the max_gradient warning disappeared from 3.7?
I ran code from :
news://news.povray.org:119/web.52e8d82bcfb9f6d0a7cafab50@news.povray.org
and got no warning that the max_gradient (at 200) was too high. I then
ran it at max_gradient 20 (too low) and still no warning.
Just for comparison, I also ran under 3.6 and got warnings both times.

John
-- 
Protect the Earth
It was not given to you by your parents
You hold it in trust for your children


Post a reply to this message

From: MichaelJF
Subject: Re: Max-gradient warning
Date: 30 Jan 2014 07:15:00
Message: <web.52e9fb5e24aaf3ae9661f3d80@news.povray.org>
Doctor John <j.g### [at] gmailcom> wrote:
> I may be mistaken but has the max_gradient warning disappeared from 3.7?
> I ran code from :
> news://news.povray.org:119/web.52e8d82bcfb9f6d0a7cafab50@news.povray.org
> and got no warning that the max_gradient (at 200) was too high. I then
> ran it at max_gradient 20 (too low) and still no warning.
> Just for comparison, I also ran under 3.6 and got warnings both times.
>
> John
> --
> Protect the Earth
> It was not given to you by your parents
> You hold it in trust for your children

We had this discussion some months ago, but I cannot find it actually. IIRC the
solution is to declare the isosurface and then enclose it in an object {}.

Best regards,
Michael


Post a reply to this message

From: Doctor John
Subject: Re: Max-gradient warning
Date: 30 Jan 2014 11:27:14
Message: <52ea3712$1@news.povray.org>
On 30/01/14 07:12, MichaelJF wrote:
> 
> We had this discussion some months ago, but I cannot find it actually. IIRC the
> solution is to declare the isosurface and then enclose it in an object {}.
> 
> Best regards,
> Michael
> 
> 

Indeed you did. I missed it then (mainly because I don't follow p.b-t)
but I found it on the web Here:
http://news.povray.org/povray.beta-test/thread/%3C51c55b9f%241%40news.povray.org%3E/?mtop=384497

Declaring the isosurface then enclosing it in a object {} don't seem to
work. Also -WT1 doesn't help.
I guess this is a bug that still needs to be eradicated. Meanwhile, I'll
just carry on developing my landscape isosurfaces with v3.6

John
-- 
Protect the Earth
It was not given to you by your parents
You hold it in trust for your children


Post a reply to this message

From: ThomdeG
Subject: Re: Max-gradient warning
Date: 3 Apr 2014 08:15:01
Message: <web.533d180d24aaf3ae59a9df670@news.povray.org>
Doctor John <j.g### [at] gmailcom> wrote:
> On 30/01/14 07:12, MichaelJF wrote:
> >
> > We had this discussion some months ago, but I cannot find it actually. IIRC the
> > solution is to declare the isosurface and then enclose it in an object {}.
> >
> > Best regards,
> > Michael
> >
> >
>
> Indeed you did. I missed it then (mainly because I don't follow p.b-t)
> but I found it on the web Here:
>
http://news.povray.org/povray.beta-test/thread/%3C51c55b9f%241%40news.povray.org%3E/?mtop=384497
>
> Declaring the isosurface then enclosing it in a object {} don't seem to
> work. Also -WT1 doesn't help.
> I guess this is a bug that still needs to be eradicated. Meanwhile, I'll
> just carry on developing my landscape isosurfaces with v3.6
>
> John
> --
> Protect the Earth
> It was not given to you by your parents
> You hold it in trust for your children

Hi John,
I just found your message now as I do not follow the unix n.g.
The answer to your question is to "unwrap" your isosurface and use the
isosurface in its "naked" form to get the max_gradient messages.

example:
#if (Naked)
isosurface {....}
#else
#declare Test = isosurface {...}
object {Test}
#end

In its naked version, the messages appear.

Thomas


Post a reply to this message

Copyright 2003-2008 Persistence of Vision Raytracer Pty. Ltd.