POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unix : Can I disable downscaling of preview window? Server Time: 20 Jun 2019 20:06:24 GMT
  Can I disable downscaling of preview window? (Message 1 to 7 of 7)  
From: Lars R 
Subject: Can I disable downscaling of preview window?
Date: 23 Dec 2013 19:36:46
Message: <52b890ce@news.povray.org>
Is it possible to disable the downscale of the preview Window on pov3.7
or specify the size of the preview window explicitly?

In pov3.6 it was surely annoying that a 2048x1536 rendering whouldn't
fit on screen, but I regularily render on my 1024x600 netbook and I'd
like to got 800x600 or 1024x768 windows but only got preview windows of
about 640x480 or so.

		Lars R.


Post a reply to this message

From: Le Forgeron
Subject: Re: Can I disable downscaling of preview window?
Date: 26 Dec 2013 14:43:06
Message: <52bc407a$1@news.povray.org>
Le 23/12/2013 20:36, Lars R. nous fit lire :
> Is it possible to disable the downscale of the preview Window on pov3.7
> or specify the size of the preview window explicitly?
> 
> In pov3.6 it was surely annoying that a 2048x1536 rendering whouldn't
> fit on screen, but I regularily render on my 1024x600 netbook and I'd
> like to got 800x600 or 1024x768 windows but only got preview windows of
> about 640x480 or so.

If preview is requested (+D), the downscale is automatic to have the
same scale on both axis (as soon as the window, with its expected
decoration, wouldn't fit the available screen).

You can disable the preview window completely with -D.


Post a reply to this message

From: Le Forgeron
Subject: Re: Can I disable downscaling of preview window?
Date: 27 Dec 2013 08:11:05
Message: <52bd3619$1@news.povray.org>
Le 26/12/2013 15:43, Le_Forgeron nous fit lire :
> Le 23/12/2013 20:36, Lars R. nous fit lire :
>> Is it possible to disable the downscale of the preview Window on pov3.7
>> or specify the size of the preview window explicitly?
>>
>> In pov3.6 it was surely annoying that a 2048x1536 rendering whouldn't
>> fit on screen, but I regularily render on my 1024x600 netbook and I'd
>> like to got 800x600 or 1024x768 windows but only got preview windows of
>> about 640x480 or so.
> 
> If preview is requested (+D), the downscale is automatic to have the
> same scale on both axis (as soon as the window, with its expected
> decoration, wouldn't fit the available screen).
> 
> You can disable the preview window completely with -D.
> 

I forgot, with a Xnest, you can have an internal display of the size you
want, in which to put the preview (and hopefully a lightweight window
manager). This can at least force a smaller preview window (using
-geometry option of Xnest).
You can of course use geometry of Xnest to generate a window/Xserver
bigger that your actual display, but without scrollbar (or wrapper
)(https://bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=903 ) you won't be able
to access more than a part of it.


Post a reply to this message

From: Lars R 
Subject: Re: Can I disable downscaling of preview window?
Date: 2 Jan 2014 10:23:36
Message: <52c53e28$1@news.povray.org>
>>> Is it possible to disable the downscale of the preview Window on
>>> pov3.7 or specify the size of the preview window explicitly?
>>> 
>>> In pov3.6 it was surely annoying that a 2048x1536 rendering 
>>> whouldn't fit on screen, but I regularily render on my 1024x600
>>> netbook and I'd like to got 800x600 or 1024x768 windows but only
>>> got preview windows of about 640x480 or so.
>>
>> If preview is requested (+D), the downscale is automatic to have the
>> same scale on both axis (as soon as the window, with its expected
>> decoration, wouldn't fit the available screen).
>>
>> You can disable the preview window completely with -D.

I do want a preview window. I just want to disable the automatic scaling
of the preview window (because it scales wrong in some cases, as I
mentioned already in my original posting). That was be the behavior of
Povray 3.6., so I guessed, _disabling_ the new feature "auto scale"
would be easy to do.

> I forgot, with a Xnest, you can have an internal display of the size
> you want, in which to put the preview (and hopefully a lightweight
> window manager). This can at least force a smaller preview window
> (using -geometry option of Xnest).

You earnestly suggest to run a separate X server just to circumvent
Povray's automatic scaling of its preview window?


Lars R.


Post a reply to this message

From: Le Forgeron
Subject: Re: Can I disable downscaling of preview window?
Date: 2 Jan 2014 12:43:44
Message: <52c55f00$1@news.povray.org>
Le 02/01/2014 11:23, Lars R. a écrit :

>> I forgot, with a Xnest, you can have an internal display of the size
>> you want, in which to put the preview (and hopefully a lightweight
>> window manager). This can at least force a smaller preview window
>> (using -geometry option of Xnest).
> 
> You earnestly suggest to run a separate X server just to circumvent
> Povray's automatic scaling of its preview window?
> 

I suggest to run a separate X server if you are not happy with the
automatic scaling done by povray. The alternative being of course to
have a display such that preview window would fit.

Using Xnest, you can have whatever size you want.

-- 
Just because nobody complains does not mean all parachutes are perfect.


Post a reply to this message

From: Lars R 
Subject: Re: Can I disable downscaling of preview window?
Date: 2 Jan 2014 14:15:01
Message: <52c57465$1@news.povray.org>
> I suggest to run a separate X server if you are not happy with the
> automatic scaling done by povray. The alternative being of course to
> have a display such that preview window would fit.

No. The alternative would be a command line switch that disable the
automatism.

Lars R.


Post a reply to this message

From: James Holsenback
Subject: Re: Can I disable downscaling of preview window?
Date: 2 Jan 2014 14:42:01
Message: <52c57ab9@news.povray.org>
On 01/02/2014 09:15 AM, Lars R. wrote:
>> I suggest to run a separate X server if you are not happy with the
>> automatic scaling done by povray. The alternative being of course to
>> have a display such that preview window would fit.
>
> No. The alternative would be a command line switch that disable the
> automatism.
>
> Lars R.
>

hey ... source code is available:
https://github.com/POV-Ray

perhaps you'd like to contribute a patch to make that happen ;-)


Post a reply to this message

Copyright 2003-2008 Persistence of Vision Raytracer Pty. Ltd.