POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unix : Compiling PoV-Ray 3.7 under Linux Server Time
14 Jun 2024 04:08:31 EDT (-0400)
  Compiling PoV-Ray 3.7 under Linux (Message 31 to 35 of 35)
From: clipka
Subject: Re: Compiling PoV-Ray 3.7 under Linux
Date: 10 Nov 2011 12:07:21
Message: <4ebc04c9$1@news.povray.org>
Am 10.11.2011 02:16, schrieb jhu:
> clipka<ano### [at] anonymousorg>  wrote:
>> Am 09.11.2011 23:00, schrieb jhu:
>>> It would be helpful if the source was self contained like the 3.6 source with
>>> the needed libraries distributed also. Makes compiling a lot less of a hassle.
>>
>> Work is currently underway to achieve this for the Windows distrubution
>> for Visual Studio 2010, with promising success; porting that to the
>> projects for VS 2005 (and also VS 2008, which is pretty similar in this
>> regard) should also be quite straightforward - but will take some time
>> nonetheless, and we're still looking for a volunteer to do the same for
>> the Unix distribution.
>
> I guess I could volunteer. Integrate boost, zlib, jpeg, tiff, and png into the
> source then?

Plus openEXR. Yes, that would be the job. Boost would be limited to
boost_thread and boost_date_time; aside from those, we currently only
use boost header-only libraries.

zlib, jpeg, tiff and png libraries are already in the source tree (we
just don't currently distribute them in the Linux version); boost and
openEXR will be added to the code repository soon.

Post a reply to this message

> Plus openEXR. Yes, that would be the job. Boost would be limited to
> boost_thread and boost_date_time; aside from those, we currently only
> use boost header-only libraries.
>
> zlib, jpeg, tiff and png libraries are already in the source tree (we
> just don't currently distribute them in the Linux version); boost and
> openEXR will be added to the code repository soon.

So just put relevant source and respective directories into main source tree,
modify some scripts then? Sounds within my skill level.

Post a reply to this message

> clipka<ano### [at] anonymousorg>  wrote:
>

>> Plus openEXR. Yes, that would be the job. Boost would be limited to
>> boost_thread and boost_date_time; aside from those, we currently only
>> use boost header-only libraries.
>>
>> zlib, jpeg, tiff and png libraries are already in the source tree (we
>> just don't currently distribute them in the Linux version); boost and
>> openEXR will be added to the code repository soon.
>
> So just put relevant source and respective directories into main source tree,
> modify some scripts then? Sounds within my skill level.

I guess we'd love to go for a makefile-based solution, rather than the
BJam build tool the boost library comes with.

It would probably also be nice to have an option to link against already
installed versions of the libraries instead.

I guess to pick up that glove you should contact Chris Cason. I'm sure
your help will be appreciated.

Post a reply to this message

> > clipka<ano### [at] anonymousorg>  wrote:
> >

> >> Plus openEXR. Yes, that would be the job. Boost would be limited to
> >> boost_thread and boost_date_time; aside from those, we currently only
> >> use boost header-only libraries.
> >>
> >> zlib, jpeg, tiff and png libraries are already in the source tree (we
> >> just don't currently distribute them in the Linux version); boost and
> >> openEXR will be added to the code repository soon.
> >
> > So just put relevant source and respective directories into main source tree,
> > modify some scripts then? Sounds within my skill level.
>
> I guess we'd love to go for a makefile-based solution, rather than the
> BJam build tool the boost library comes with.
>
> It would probably also be nice to have an option to link against already
> installed versions of the libraries instead.
>
> I guess to pick up that glove you should contact Chris Cason. I'm sure
> your help will be appreciated.

How do I get in touch with him?

Post a reply to this message

Try "team-coord-[three-letter month]-[four-digit year]@povray.org".