POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unix : Modeling Programs for Linux? Server Time
1 Jun 2024 04:20:36 EDT (-0400)
  Modeling Programs for Linux? (Message 7 to 16 of 26)
<<< Previous 6 Messages Goto Latest 10 Messages Next 10 Messages >>>
From: Jim Henderson
Subject: Re: Modeling Programs for Linux?
Date: 19 Apr 2008 11:30:06
Message: <480a0ffe$1@news.povray.org>
On Fri, 18 Apr 2008 20:00:06 -0400, Steve Shelby wrote:

> I just recently started using Linux (ubuntu) and would like to get back
> to doing some 3d work. I am used to using Moray in windows. I tried
> installing Wings3d, but can't get it to work. Do any of you use any
> modeling programs in Linux? Any recommendations?
> Thank you,
> Steve Shelby

Wings3D (which I see you've tried to get running) and Blender (plus the
POV plugin) are two that I use.

Jim

Post a reply to this message

From: Jim Henderson
Date: 19 Apr 2008 11:30:36
Message: <480a101c@news.povray.org>
On Fri, 18 Apr 2008 19:42:16 -0500, Ger wrote:

> Wings3D under wine should work

What??!?  Wings3D is compiled natively on Linux.  No need for WINE.

Jim

Post a reply to this message

From: Ger
Date: 19 Apr 2008 11:54:43
Message: <480a15c2@news.povray.org>
Jim Henderson wrote:

> On Fri, 18 Apr 2008 19:42:16 -0500, Ger wrote:
>
>> Wings3D under wine should work
>
> What??!?  Wings3D is compiled natively on Linux.  No need for WINE.
>
> Jim
Like I said in another post, I couldn't get it to work then (long time ago)
Haven't tried it since.
--
Ger

Post a reply to this message

From: Steve Shelby
Date: 19 Apr 2008 12:48:30
Message: <480a225e$1@news.povray.org>
"Marco e Erika" <mar### [at] gmailcom> wrote in message
> The binary version of wings3d should work out of the box. I use
> wings-0.99.00b (unpack it and start it from the command line).
> Another modeller is Art of Illusion, but require a official Java virtual
> machine. Both of them have a povray export filter.
> I didn't have a good experience with the export povray filter of blender.
>
> Marco
>
> Ger wrote:
>> Larry Hudson wrote:

>>> Why suggest using wine when there's already a native Linux version of
>>> Wings???   :-)
>>>
>> Because I never got the Linux version to work properly. Has been a long
>> time
>> since I looked at it though.
I tried wings out and it crashed the system. Havn't tried again. I checked
out Art of Illusion, and it looks like it has great potential. It has a
fabulous user's manual.
Steve

Post a reply to this message

From: Jim Henderson
Date: 19 Apr 2008 15:03:05
Message: <480a41e9$1@news.povray.org>
On Sat, 19 Apr 2008 10:56:04 -0500, Ger wrote:

> Jim Henderson wrote:
>
>> On Fri, 18 Apr 2008 19:42:16 -0500, Ger wrote:
>>
>>> Wings3D under wine should work
>>
>> What??!?  Wings3D is compiled natively on Linux.  No need for WINE.
>>
>> Jim
> Like I said in another post, I couldn't get it to work then (long time
> ago) Haven't tried it since.

Saw the other post after I wrote - it must've been a very long time, I've
been using Wings3D on SUSE since the 9.x days (for SUSE, not Wings).
Current version runs very nicely.

Jim

Post a reply to this message

From: Ger
Date: 19 Apr 2008 19:50:06
Message: <480a852e@news.povray.org>
Jim Henderson wrote:

> On Sat, 19 Apr 2008 10:56:04 -0500, Ger wrote:
>
>> Jim Henderson wrote:

>>> What??!?  Wings3D is compiled natively on Linux.  No need for WINE.
>>>
>>> Jim
>> Like I said in another post, I couldn't get it to work then (long time
>> ago) Haven't tried it since.
>
> Saw the other post after I wrote - it must've been a very long time, I've
> been using Wings3D on SUSE since the 9.x days (for SUSE, not Wings).
> Current version runs very nicely.
>
> Jim
Suse 8-ish iirc.
--
Ger

Post a reply to this message

From: Jim Henderson
Date: 19 Apr 2008 21:10:28
Message: <480a9804$1@news.povray.org>
On Sat, 19 Apr 2008 18:51:32 -0500, Ger wrote:

> Suse 8-ish iirc.

Things change in the Linux world much faster than that - you can most
assuredly bet that if the software is maintained that a critical issue
like that would've been fixed long ago.

Jim

Post a reply to this message

From: Ger
Date: 19 Apr 2008 22:11:57
Message: <480aa66c@news.povray.org>
Jim Henderson wrote:

> On Sat, 19 Apr 2008 18:51:32 -0500, Ger wrote:
>
>> Suse 8-ish iirc.
>
> Things change in the Linux world much faster than that - you can most
> assuredly bet that if the software is maintained that a critical issue
> like that would've been fixed long ago.
>
> Jim

Oh I know that. I have been testing/using Suse since version 6.something. I
just never had the need for Wings3D. I only played with it for a bit and
didn't get it to work then. I later tested a Win version on Wine because a
friend asked me. That one I got to work, so I left it at that.
--
Ger

Post a reply to this message

From: Jim Henderson
Date: 20 Apr 2008 14:05:04
Message: <480b85d0$1@news.povray.org>
On Sat, 19 Apr 2008 21:13:23 -0500, Ger wrote:

> I later tested a Win version on Wine because a friend asked me. That one
> I got to work, so I left it at that.

Well, that's fine, but it seems unreasonable to me to assume that the
problem was never fixed and *recommend* a current version be run the same
way as the version you got to work.  I wouldn't generally expect people
to make recommendations on file naming conventions in Vista (for example)
based on Windows 3.1, either. ;-)

Jim

Post a reply to this message

From: SÅ‚awomir Szczyrba
Date: 21 Apr 2008 06:50:28
Message: <slrn.g0osbk.jrj.steev@hot.pl>
Klik-klik-klik... To Steve Shelby informuje :
> I just recently started using Linux (ubuntu) and would like to get back to
> doing some 3d work. I am used to using Moray in windows. I tried installing
> Wings3d, but can't get it to work. Do any of you use any modeling programs
> in Linux? Any recommendations?
> Thank you,
> Steve Shelby

jPatch
< http://www.jpatch.com/ >

--
  ________

Post a reply to this message

<<< Previous 6 Messages Goto Latest 10 Messages Next 10 Messages >>>