POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unix : Animating on Linux Box Results in Speckles? (and Jitter=Off)! Server Time
16 May 2024 23:57:17 EDT (-0400)
  Animating on Linux Box Results in Speckles? (and Jitter=Off)! (Message 1 to 3 of 3)
From: Abe Mishler
Subject: Animating on Linux Box Results in Speckles? (and Jitter=Off)!
Date: 2 Sep 2006 20:36:38
Message: <44fa2396$1@news.povray.org>
Hello everyone,

I'm running a gentoo box with the following version of POV-Ray:

Persistence of Vision(tm) Ray Tracer Version 3.6.1
(i686-pc-linux-gnu-g++ 3.4.6
 @ i686-pc-linux-gnu)

I've created a nice pie-chart that I'd like to animate. Rendering a
single frame is no problem -- the image looks acceptable. The problem
appears when I insert the clock. Actually, the problem appears on the
second frame and any subsequent frames in an animation.

I have some example images. For some reason frame 2 doesn't show up in
firefox when I load it. Perhaps this is somehow related to the problem.
It's as if the image is corrupt. I have zipped it and another viewer
should display it (KView works great).

good------> http://www.pfcme.org/pov/pie-slice1.png
speckled--> http://www.pfcme.org/pov/pie-slice2.png.zip

What follows is my pov source and ini files. Comments in the source are
from code I've found other places describing a solution to the problem I
thought I had. Before I list the code, thanks in advance for your
interest in my problem.

/Abe

=== INI

Antialias=On
Jitter=Off

Width=320
Height=240

Output_File_Type=N  #P[N]G format
#Bits_Per_Color=16
Palette=H  #[G]rayscale, [H]igh Color, [T]rue Color

Antialias_Threshold=0.9
Antialias_Depth=6
Sampling_Method=1
Input_File_Name=pie-slice.pov

Initial_Frame=1
Final_Frame=2#570
Initial_Clock=0
Final_Clock=3.14159

Cyclic_Animation=Off
Pause_when_Done=Off

=== POV

#include "shapes.inc"

// the camera: ----------
camera {
  angle    60
  location <0, 5, -10>
  right    x*image_width/image_height
  look_at  <0, 0, 0>
  rotate   <0, 0, -5>
}
//---------------------- end of camera

// now, some light
light_source {
  <-10,0,0>
  color rgb <0.5,0.5,0.5>
}

// now, some more light
light_source {
  <0,0,0>
  color rgb <0.75,0.75,0.75>
}

#declare BlurAmount = 0.1; // Amount of blurring
#declare S = seed(0);

// the pie
#declare pie_chart = union {
cylinder {
  <0,-.5,0>, <0, .5, 0>, 3
  finish {
    ambient 0.6
    specular 1.5
    reflection { 0.7 fresnel on }
    ior 1.5
  }
  interior { refraction 0.5 }
normal { bumps BlurAmount
translate <rand(S),rand(S),rand(S)>*10
// scale 100 provides blurry and non-grainy reflections
// scale 0.001 provides grainy reflections
scale 100
}

  pigment { color rgbt <64/255,128/255,240/255,0.35> }
  double_illuminate
}

/*sphere {
  <0, 1, 0>, 0.15
  pigment { color rgb <1, 0, 0> }
}*/

// the pie piece
difference {
cylinder {
  <0,-.5,0>, <0, .6, 0>, 3.1
  finish {
    ambient 1.5
    specular 1.5
    reflection { 0.7 fresnel on }
    ior 1.5
  }
  interior { refraction 0.5 }
normal { bumps BlurAmount
translate <rand(S),rand(S),rand(S)>*10
// scale 100 provides blurry and non-grainy reflections
// scale 0.001 provides grainy reflections
scale 100
}

  pigment { color rgbt <208/255,64/255,144/255, 0.45> }
  double_illuminate
}
plane {
<1, 0, 0>, 0
rotate <0, -72, 0>
}
plane {
<1, 0, 0>, 0
rotate <0, 90, 0>
}
no_shadow
rotate <0, -50, 0>
}
}

object {
  pie_chart
  rotate <-5*clock, -5*clock, -5*clock>
}

Post a reply to this message

On Sat, 02 Sep 2006 20:37:45 +0000, Abe Mishler wrote:

> [...]
>
> /*sphere {
>   <0, 1, 0>, 0.15
>   pigment { color rgb <1, 0, 0> }
> }*/
>
> // the pie piece
> difference {
> cylinder {
>   <0,-.5,0>, <0, .6, 0>, 3.1
>   finish {
>     ambient 1.5
>     specular 1.5
>     reflection { 0.7 fresnel on }
>     ior 1.5
>   }
>   interior { refraction 0.5 }
> normal { bumps BlurAmount
> translate <rand(S),rand(S),rand(S)>*10
> // scale 100 provides blurry and non-grainy reflections
> // scale 0.001 provides grainy reflections
> scale 100
> }
>
>   pigment { color rgbt <208/255,64/255,144/255, 0.45> }

I tried your files and got the same result except I could open the
pictures in firefox-1.5.0.5.
Oddly, the first render looked ok and the others were speckled even
without the rotate.

When I changed the planes to

plane
{
   <1, 0, 0>, 0.01
   rotate <0, -72, 0>
}
plane
{
   <1, 0, 0>, 0.01
   rotate <0, 90, 0>
}

the problem went away.

Cheers,
   PoD.

Post a reply to this message

> [...]
>>   double_illuminate
>> }
>> plane {
>> <1, 0, 0>, 0
>> rotate <0, -72, 0>
>> }
>> plane {
>> <1, 0, 0>, 0
>> rotate <0, 90, 0>
>> }
>> no_shadow
>> rotate <0, -50, 0>
>> }
>> }
>>
>> object {
>>   pie_chart
>>   rotate <-5*clock, -5*clock, -5*clock>
>> }
>

> I tried your files and got the same result except I could open the
> pictures in firefox-1.5.0.5.
> Oddly, the first render looked ok and the others were speckled even

It works great. Thanks a bunch!