POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unix : execute povray Server Time
1 Jun 2024 04:02:06 EDT (-0400)
  execute povray (Message 1 to 8 of 8)
From: jofg
Subject: execute povray
Date: 6 Apr 2006 00:39:09
Message: <44349b6d$1@news.povray.org>
I just installed Povray 3.6 in Mandriva 2006, and it is also duall boot
installed in Windows.
Not that this makes a difference.

No user account.

When install completed, it did run the test render

At the beginning of test it gave message.....

povray: cannot open the user configuration file
/root/povray/3.6/povray.conf: No such file or directory.

Question, how is Povray executed in Linux?

Is there a command?

There is no folder in Home, and there is no Povray in the 'Start', of Linux
Mandriva, which is a STAR.

!

Post a reply to this message

On Wed, 05 Apr 2006 21:39:23 -0700, jofg wrote:

> No user account.

Not really possible (I guess as it's OSS, anything is *possible*) - the
error message provides a very significant clue...

> povray: cannot open the user configuration file
> /root/povray/3.6/povray.conf: No such file or directory.

You need to create this file.

> Question, how is Povray executed in Linux?
>
> Is there a command?

povray is the command.  I would suggest you start at
http://www.povray.org/documentation/ - paying particular attention to the
section entitled "POV-Ray for Unix".

> There is no folder in Home, and there is no Povray in the 'Start', of Linux
> Mandriva, which is a STAR.
>
> !

It's a command-line tool, not added to the menu in any Linux or Unix-based
installation.

Post a reply to this message

> I just installed Povray 3.6 in Mandriva 2006, and it is also duall boot
> installed in Windows.
> Not that this makes a difference.
>
> No user account.

Huh? Are sure you installed correctly? IMO, if you install with "no user
account" povray will be installed "as root", i. e. you'll need to be root
to run it...

> When install completed, it did run the test render
>
> At the beginning of test it gave message.....
>
> povray: cannot open the user configuration file
> /root/povray/3.6/povray.conf: No such file or directory.

Ok, so it is installed as root - not a good idea at all. Create a user
account (it should be easy - just open a terminal in Mandriva and do
useradd user1) then log into that account and install from there.

> Question, how is Povray executed in Linux?

You'll need to install the povray executable somewhere on the path, then
type "povray" at a shell prompt. Pov also expects some parameters (like
which scene it should render), since in Unix/Linux it is a command-line
program, not GUI based as in XP. Where you could just click on the icon in
XP to start Povray up, click on "File" and open a scene you want rendered,
the unix/linux equivalent may be something like

povray -Iscene.pov -Oout.tga

in a terminal.

> Is there a command?
>
> There is no folder in Home, and there is no Povray in the 'Start', of
> Linux Mandriva, which is a STAR.

See above - there'll be no Povray entry, since Povray is commandline driven.
You need to start it from a terminal emulation program like xterm or
Konsole...

Drop me a mail at spamnot@<removethis>polard.com if you want, and I'll talk
you through getting it set up.

--
Stefan Viljoen
Software Support Technician / Programmer

Post a reply to this message