POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unix : PNG and segmentation faults Server Time
14 Jun 2024 01:01:18 EDT (-0400)
  PNG and segmentation faults (Message 1 to 7 of 7)
From: JRG
Subject: PNG and segmentation faults
Date: 27 Nov 2005 09:06:40
Message: <4389bd70$1@news.povray.org>
I've been using POV-Ray under Linux for just a couple of days. I always
save my images as png files. Never encountered a single problem.
Now, just a few minutes ago, after 3 hours of rendering, POV-Ray crashed
with a segmentation fault. Every attempt to render again the scene as a
png image resulted in another segmentation fault. It seems to work fine
with tga.

Any clue what this might be due to?

--
Jonathan.

Post a reply to this message

> I've been using POV-Ray under Linux for just a couple of days. I always
> save my images as png files. Never encountered a single problem.
> Now, just a few minutes ago, after 3 hours of rendering, POV-Ray crashed
> with a segmentation fault. Every attempt to render again the scene as a
> png image resulted in another segmentation fault. It seems to work fine
> with tga.
>
> Any clue what this might be due to?

Do you use the official binary or a self compiled version?

If you use a self built version you should try building with the libpng
version coming with POV-Ray and not the one installed on the system.

Christoph

http://www.imagico.de/ (Last updated 31 Oct. 2005)

>> I've been using POV-Ray under Linux for just a couple of days. I
>> always save my images as png files. Never encountered a single problem.
>> Now, just a few minutes ago, after 3 hours of rendering, POV-Ray
>> crashed with a segmentation fault. Every attempt to render again the
>> scene as a png image resulted in another segmentation fault. It seems
>> to work fine with tga.
>>
>> Any clue what this might be due to?
>
> Do you use the official binary or a self compiled version?
>
> If you use a self built version you should try building with the libpng
> version coming with POV-Ray and not the one installed on the system.
>
> Christoph

Hmm, I have the feeling it's not something POV-Ray related... Kopete
just keeps on crashing... and here's a snip of the backtrace log I get:

[KCrash handler]
#4  0x41908fdf in __deregister_frame () from /lib/libgcc_s.so.1
#5  0x418e9328 in deflateParams () from /lib/libz.so.1
#6  0x418e83b9 in deflate () from /lib/libz.so.1
#7  0x419f1b00 in png_write_filtered_row () from /usr/lib/libpng.so.3
#8  0x000007f2 in ?? ()
#9  0x41a1c66c in ?? () from /usr/lib/libpng.so.3
#10 0x00000092 in ?? ()
#11 0x0836a390 in ?? ()
#12 0x419f2026 in png_write_find_filter () from /usr/lib/libpng.so.3

Anyway, I'm using a pre-compiled version coming with the SUSE 10
distribution.

--
Jonathan.

Post a reply to this message

> Anyway, I'm using a pre-compiled version coming with the SUSE 10
> distribution.

What version of POV-Ray is included with Suse 10?

	Thorsten

Post a reply to this message