POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unix : Debian package for POV-Ray Server Time
1 Jun 2024 03:14:39 EDT (-0400)
  Debian package for POV-Ray (Message 1 to 10 of 11)
From: sascha
Subject: Debian package for POV-Ray
Date: 21 Nov 2005 15:02:17
Message: <438227c9$1@news.povray.org>
Hi,

I've switched to Ubuntu a few weeks ago - and there's a precompiled
POV-Ray package available, but it's version 3.5 (at least it's all
Synaptic is able to find).

Is there a more recent version available for Debian and/or Ubuntu?

This is just an informal question, I know that it's no problem to get
the latest source and compile it, but I'd still prefere packages if they
are available (so I don't have to worry about path and library issues).
I'm just curious.

Thanks,

-sascha

Post a reply to this message

> I've switched to Ubuntu a few weeks ago - and there's a precompiled
> POV-Ray package available, but it's version 3.5 (at least it's all
> Synaptic is able to find).
>
> Is there a more recent version available for Debian and/or Ubuntu?

No.  The Debian POV-Ray package is apparently unmaintained for quite
some time.

> This is just an informal question, I know that it's no problem to get
> the latest source and compile it, but I'd still prefere packages if they
> are available (so I don't have to worry about path and library issues).
> I'm just curious.

You won't have any 'path and library issues' with either the binary or
source version on Linux systems.

Christoph

http://www.imagico.de/ (Last updated 31 Oct. 2005)

> > I've switched to Ubuntu a few weeks ago - and there's a precompiled
> > POV-Ray package available, but it's version 3.5 (at least it's all
> > Synaptic is able to find).
> >
> > Is there a more recent version available for Debian and/or Ubuntu?
>
> No.  The Debian POV-Ray package is apparently unmaintained for quite
> some time.
>
> > This is just an informal question, I know that it's no problem to get
> > the latest source and compile it, but I'd still prefere packages if they
> > are available (so I don't have to worry about path and library issues).
> > I'm just curious.
>
> You won't have any 'path and library issues' with either the binary or
> source version on Linux systems.
>
> Christoph

I'll second what Christoph said. I'm running a self-compiled version of 3.6
on Ubuntu. It works fine. No issues at all compiling it. You could always
create your own .deb if you wanted to keep things easy to install/uninstall
the "debian way".

-r

Post a reply to this message