POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unix : "You people work like this?" revisited. Server Time
1 Jun 2024 03:09:32 EDT (-0400)
  "You people work like this?" revisited. (Message 1 to 3 of 3)
From: Greg M  Johnson
Subject: "You people work like this?" revisited.
Date: 31 Jul 2005 08:41:08
Message: <42ecc6e4$1@news.povray.org>
I saw on a forum for a command-line MPG generation tool where some kid was
giving the syntax he uses, and it must have been four lines of text!   No
way that bloke is typing it out each time. I'm betting he has his most
popularly-used syntax stored in some text editor.

I've tried some of the GUI editors for povray like Pyvon and QTPOV.  They
have their strengths. I have however figured out a way to get most of the
old Windows GUI look and feel to my povray experience on my own:

1) Edit scene files in Kedit, with a separate window open for each scene
file you're currently thinking about.

2) Keep a "huh.ini" file open with an ini file that does things like declare
your input file, your output file name, +W +H, etc.   The beauty here is you
can comment out some not-infrequently used commands (like your animation
setup) with a ";" so you don't have to retype them next time.

3) Open a shell. Your command-line command may simply then be:  "povray
huh.ini" .   If you're doing multiple renders in a sitting, subsequent
renders can be invoked via hitting the up arrow and enter.

There are actually strengths to *this* setup over perhaps even the windows
GUI.   Perhaps I was too clueless to imagine this setup right off the bat.
I'm actually guessing that not too many of you are actually going *pure*
command line day in day out, perhaps even using "vi".  But I'm wondering if
someone were to have suggested this setup to me when I started griping about
the lack of GUI   that I would have been satisfied much earlier.

Post a reply to this message

> I saw on a forum for a command-line MPG generation tool where some kid was
> giving the syntax he uses, and it must have been four lines of text!   No
> way that bloke is typing it out each time. I'm betting he has his most
> popularly-used syntax stored in some text editor.

He most likely has written a simple shell script for this.  Also don't
forget you have a command history.

> I've tried some of the GUI editors for povray like Pyvon and QTPOV.  They
> have their strengths. I have however figured out a way to get most of the
> old Windows GUI look and feel to my povray experience on my own:
>
> 1) Edit scene files in Kedit, with a separate window open for each scene
> file you're currently thinking about.

Note using KWrite/Kate instead of KEdit will give you syntax
highlighting.  In Kate you can avoid the separate windows and have tabs
for each file like in WinPOV.

> There are actually strengths to *this* setup over perhaps even the windows
> GUI.

Quite a lot, for example:

- you can use different POV-Ray versions (official/MegaPOV) in parallel
without having two separate editors open.
- you can run several renders at the same time without having multiple
separate editors open.
- you can completely transparently work and render on different machines

> Perhaps I was too clueless to imagine this setup right off the bat.
> I'm actually guessing that not too many of you are actually going *pure*
> command line day in day out, perhaps even using "vi".

I think using ini files for the render settings like you describe is
quite rare.  Storing the commonly used options in a scene file comment
and putting them to the command line using cut&paste is what i do quite
often.

> But I'm wondering if
> someone were to have suggested this setup to me when I started griping about
> the lack of GUI   that I would have been satisfied much earlier.

Interesting point.  Note people quite regularly mention that they use a
standard editor and the command line for operating POV-Ray.  But in fact
this is something that is obvious to most regular Unix users so it is
seldom pointed out explicitly. ;-)

But indeed for newcomers (not to POV-Ray but to the platform) the
possibilities probably could be better described.

Christoph

http://www.tu-bs.de/~y0013390/ (Last updated 24 Jul. 2005)