POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unix : linux video encoder Server Time
26 Jun 2024 15:11:59 EDT (-0400)
  linux video encoder (Message 1 to 10 of 19)
From: Greg M  Johnson
Subject: linux video encoder
Date: 16 Jun 2005 18:15:35
Message: <42b1fa07@news.povray.org>
Any recs for apps to turn a stack-o-bitmaps into an MPG?

Apparently TMPGENc requires Win

Post a reply to this message

From: Ross
Subject: Re: linux video encoder
Date: 16 Jun 2005 19:08:16
Message: <42b20660$1@news.povray.org>
"Greg M. Johnson" <gregj;-)565### [at] aolcom> wrote in message
> Any recs for apps to turn a stack-o-bitmaps into an MPG?
>
> Apparently TMPGENc requires Win

mencoder which is a part of mplayer works. It's a little complex, but there
are some examples.

http://www.mplayerhq.hu/DOCS/HTML/en/menc-feat-enc-images.html

with some success, i was using:
mencoder mf://*.png -mf w=400:h=300:fps=25:type=png -ovc copy  -o output.avi

but i'm not sure what players that would work on. works with mplayer anyway
:)

here's another helpfull site:
http://gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_Mencoder_Introduction_Guide

but i had problems with mencoder giving a segmentation fault with anything
other than "-ovc copy". for instance, "-ovc lavc" plus lavc options caused
seg faults.

good luck!

-r

Post a reply to this message

> "Greg M. Johnson" <gregj;-)565### [at] aolcom> wrote in message
>> Any recs for apps to turn a stack-o-bitmaps into an MPG?
>>
>> Apparently TMPGENc requires Win
>>

> mencoder which is a part of mplayer works. It's a little complex, but
> there are some examples.
>
> http://www.mplayerhq.hu/DOCS/HTML/en/menc-feat-enc-images.html
>
> with some success, i was using:
> mencoder mf://*.png -mf w=400:h=300:fps=25:type=png -ovc copy  -o
> output.avi
>

> but i'm not sure what players that would work on. works with mplayer
> anyway
> :)
>

> here's another helpfull site:
> http://gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_Mencoder_Introduction_Guide
>
> but i had problems with mencoder giving a segmentation fault with anything
> other than "-ovc copy". for instance, "-ovc lavc" plus lavc options caused
> seg faults.

Hmm - I had better luck with .JPEG's:

mencoder \*.jpg -mf on:fps=35 -o output.avi -ovc lavc -lavcopts
vcodec=mpeg4:vhq:v4mv #polar_divx_35_fps_libav.avi

and to add sound (if you have transcode):

transcode -i output.avi -p song.mp3 -P1 -o output_s.avi -y raw

Didn't crash and worked fine.
--
Stefan Viljoen
Software Support Technician / Programmer

Post a reply to this message