POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unix : Problems running POV 3.5 on Debian/Solaris remotely Server Time
8 Jul 2024 18:01:00 EDT (-0400)
  Problems running POV 3.5 on Debian/Solaris remotely (Message 11 to 11 of 11)
From: Fredrik Jansson
Subject: Re: Problems running POV 3.5 on Debian/Solaris remotely
Date: 7 Jun 2003 06:51:37
Message: <oprqd8hqfk8r0ed8@news.povray.org>
On Wed, 30 Apr 2003 11:36:47 -0400, Christopher James Huff
<cja### [at] earthlinknet> wrote:

> In article <3eaf612a$1@news.povray.org>, "Joe" <aqu### [at] uvicca> wrote:
>
>> I've been trying to get povray working on a Debian box I use as a
>> development machine remotely from my Windows box.  When I log into it
>> (using
>> ssh) and try to run povray on one of the demo scene files, it flashes
>> some
>> output on the screen giving the options I've specified but then clears
>> the
>> terminal and produces no file output.  I got the same thing when using
>> the
>> build of POV installed on my college's Solaris machines remotely, even
>> though it works fine when I'm locally connected.
>
> I do this on my own system, only logging into my Mandrake box from my Mac
> (running Mac OS X), and it works fine in console or X11 display mode. And
> I've used PuTTY to log into both of those from a Windows 2000 machine,
> though not to run POV-Ray. What software are you using on the Windows
> machine? What do you use when locally connected?
> My first guess is that the other poster is right, try turning display
> off. There's probably a way to run X11 programs from Windows, but I don't
> know about it.

I have the same problem, and -d does not help. I have solved it by
directing stderr to a file, and then viewed it with less.

povray ... 2> errors.txt

This works, but it is not a very elegant solution... less shows a lot of ^L
characters, wich clears the screen. Is this a bug somewhere?
I use PuTTY on a windows box to connect to a linux machine.

Fredrik