POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unix : help: i/o restrictions (again) Server Time
5 Jul 2024 14:49:01 EDT (-0400)
  help: i/o restrictions (again) (Message 1 to 10 of 17)
From: gimi
Subject: help: i/o restrictions (again)
Date: 10 Mar 2003 05:05:35
Message: <3e6c636f$1@news.povray.org>
hi,

i have tried over the weekend, but i still cannot get
povray to render *anything* (see previous post in
different thread).

i added another two lines to the .conf files:

[Permitted Output Paths]
1=/

but still, povray terminates with an error. now, it
reads the source file, but still refuses to write
the image to disk (to '/tmp', to be precise)!

i'd be really glad if somebody could just tell me
what's wrong with this configuration (well, i guess
that there must be other people using povray on unix,
so please help me out! ;).

if you want to try it, here's the complete [.]povray.conf:

---
[File I/O Security]
none

[Shellout Security]
allowed

[Current Directory Read/Write]
allowed

[Permitted Output Paths]
1=/
---

according to the docs, this should work with any
input and output directories... or is it a bug? :)

g.

--
"Anarchy may not be the best form of government but it's
better than no government at all." -- Unknown

Post a reply to this message

> i have tried over the weekend, but i still cannot get
> povray to render *anything* (see previous post in
> different thread).

If you just want to get on with it, try that:

------.povray.conf------
[File I/O Security]
none
------------------------

this should switch off the feature.
(Or did I miss something?)

Wolfgang

Post a reply to this message

From: gimi
Date: 13 Mar 2003 01:12:35
Message: <3e702153$1@news.povray.org>
Wolfgang Wieser wrote:
> gimi wrote:
>>i have tried over the weekend, but i still cannot get
>>povray to render *anything* (see previous post in
>>different thread).
>
> If you just want to get on with it, try that:
>
> ------.povray.conf------
> [File I/O Security]
> none
> ------------------------
>
> this should switch off the feature.
> (Or did I miss something?)

it should, yes.. - but i still get the same error, that
it cannot write the output file:

----
Creating light buffers....
File Init Error: Writing to /tmp/test.png is not permitted.
Check the configuration in /usr/local/etc/povray.conf or ~/.povray.conf.
----

the docs are not really up to date, it seems; and i am
unsure whether turning i/o restrictions off works at all,
and i slowly start getting the feeling that noone except
me ever uses povray on unix.. :(

did you try that config yourself? can you actually render
images?

TIA,

g.

--
16) Prove or disprove: There exists a function f from R to R such that
i) f sends rationals to rationals and irrationals to irrationals. ii) f

From: Micha Riser
Date: 13 Mar 2003 02:53:55
Message: <3e703913@news.povray.org>
gimi wrote:

> the docs are not really up to date, it seems; and i am
> unsure whether turning i/o restrictions off works at all,
> and i slowly start getting the feeling that noone except
> me ever uses povray on unix.. :(
>
> did you try that config yourself? can you actually render
> images?

Are you sure that you got the right binary from the povray site? Or try the
ones from http://www.povworld.org/povray/binaries.html together with the
.povray.conf file from the same page.

- Micha

--
POV-Ray Objects Collection: http://objects.povworld.org

Post a reply to this message

From: gimi
Date: 13 Mar 2003 03:38:30
Message: <3e704386$1@news.povray.org>
Micha,

thank you for replying!

Micha Riser wrote:
> Are you sure that you got the right binary from the povray site? Or try the
> ones from http://www.povworld.org/povray/binaries.html together with the
> ..povray.conf file from the same page.

of course; i got the official linux binary from povray.org.

i downloaded the first version from the page you mentioned,
and get the same result - using their config file
(copied to both /usr/local/etc/povray.conf and ~/.povray.conf):

( with:
povray.pentium +I/usr/local/share/povray-3.5/scenes/lights/laser.pov
+O/tmp/ )
----
Creating light buffers....File Init Error: I/O restriction prohibits
write access to file '/tmp/laser.png'.
----

i can't even get it working as root!!
what the **** is going on??

g.

From: Micha Riser
Date: 13 Mar 2003 05:41:04
Message: <3e706040@news.povray.org>
gimi wrote:

> ( with:
> povray.pentium +I/usr/local/share/povray-3.5/scenes/lights/laser.pov
> +O/tmp/ )
> ----
> Creating light buffers....File Init Error: I/O restriction prohibits
> write access to file '/tmp/laser.png'.
> ----
>
> i can't even get it working as root!!
> what the **** is going on??

Hmm... this really works here. Are you *sure* that you have put .povray.conf
in the home directory (try "cat ~/.povray.conf" )?

From: ABX
Date: 13 Mar 2003 05:46:53
Message: <p2o07vc2i978vp7nc6rkl2n800og5jdq3v@4ax.com>
On Thu, 13 Mar 2003 11:41:02 +0100, Micha Riser <mri### [at] gmxnet> wrote:
> > i can't even get it working as root!!
> > what the **** is going on??
>
> Hmm... this really works here. Are you *sure* that you have put .povray.conf
> in the home directory (try "cat ~/.povray.conf" )?

I'm not familiar with this platform but would it be possible different
exacutable/config is used than you discuss? I mean some outdated
installation from different path is executed because its path is searched
before expected one ? Jast a though...

ABX

Post a reply to this message

From: gimi
Date: 13 Mar 2003 10:14:52
Message: <3e70a06c$1@news.povray.org>
Micha Riser wrote:
> Hmm... this really works here. Are you *sure* that you have put .povray.conf
> in the home directory (try "cat ~/.povray.conf" )?

yes.  both to /root/.povray.conf and /home/myself/.povray.conf,
and they're mode 644, the user & group are also correct, i've
verified this more than once already... :/

r.

From: gimi
Date: 13 Mar 2003 10:24:28
Message: <3e70a2ac$1@news.povray.org>
ABX wrote:
> I'm not familiar with this platform but would it be possible different
> exacutable/config is used than you discuss? I mean some outdated
> installation from different path is executed because its path is searched
> before expected one ? Jast a though...

  # which povray
  /usr/local/bin/povray

as is said, i used both the official binary and one of the
site that Micha suggested - same results.

as for the installation; that was done by the install.sh
script that came with the binary.

r.

From: Thorsten Froehlich
Date: 13 Mar 2003 10:26:59
Message: <3e70a343$1@news.povray.org>
In article <3e70a06c$1@news.povray.org> , gimi <gim### [at] psicoch>  wrote:

> yes.  both to /root/.povray.conf and /home/myself/.povray.conf,
> and they're mode 644, the user & group are also correct, i've
> verified this more than once already... :/

Why don't you just delete both?

    Thorsten

Thorsten Froehlich, Duisburg, Germany
e-mail: tho### [at] trfde