POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unix : freeBSD - dynamic povray {PHP} Server Time
6 Jul 2024 03:29:54 EDT (-0400)
  freeBSD - dynamic povray {PHP} (Message 1 to 3 of 3)
From: argus
Subject: freeBSD - dynamic povray {PHP}
Date: 13 Dec 2002 04:02:05
Message: <3df9a20d$1@news.povray.org>
Key to getting this to work was setting -display variable in the
command line call from script. Even though I don't run X and
have -D in  the command line and Display=Off in povray.ini
Doesn't matter what display is specified i.e, -display 0 or
-display 23 or any value will work. I wish there was a povray
make file that is intended to be command line only and just
produces a binary that generates an image file without caring
about display or X issues. (No - the without X compile directives
do not work). I don't know make so it would be quite a while
before I could write one myself.

The schema I use for dynamically producing images using povray
from a web page utilizes both php compilied into apache and
a cgi version of php (compilied as stand alone).

Basically all the browser accessible .php file does is call a .ph
file which is handled by the cgi version of php. It's in the .ph
that the actual shell out to the povray binary occurs. This is
mostly for security reasons as I want no i/o restrictions and
I can easily write security filtering in the .ph file.

also -stderr stdoutput redirecting and -GA

Installation of povray on freeBSD seems to work best using
freeBSD's packages as the povray unix source from povray.org
will not compile as is -- also some of the dependencies install
best as packages -especially urt (utah raster toolkit) You get
povray-3.5b as of this date - watch out for trying
make & make install from /usr/ports/graphics/povray35 as
the current make file want XFree86-libraries version _4
and the povray package wants version _3

anyway - it's a relief  to get this working
comments welcome

Pan

Post a reply to this message