POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unix : Povray requirements Server Time
8 Jul 2024 18:40:40 EDT (-0400)
  Povray requirements (Message 1 to 1 of 1)
From: Peter
Subject: Povray requirements
Date: 30 Sep 2002 07:08:48
Message: <3d9830bf@news.povray.org>
There is a point in the Povray install readme that might need amending.

The readme says povray requires libpng 1.2.1.  My Redhat 7.3 system had
1.0.12, so I found a libpng 2.1.0.3 on rpmfind.net and installed that.
Povray worked fine, but ghostscript and printing didn't.  Being a user
rather than a hacker, this took quite a bit for me to sort out (with some
help from a newsgroup).  Reverting to libpng 1.0.14 fixed it, so both
povray and ghostscript now work ok (as far as I can tell).

This is just what it looks like to me.  Maybe I'm missing something, or
there is some other need for a higher version of libpng.  Perhaps someone
knowledgeable on these things could comment.  If an edit to the readme is
needed, then it might save others falling into the same trap.

regards

Peter