POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unix : Free time on Big Iron for Linux developers! Server Time
8 Jul 2024 19:24:58 EDT (-0400)
  Free time on Big Iron for Linux developers! (Message 1 to 2 of 2)
From: Daniel Matthews
Subject: Free time on Big Iron for Linux developers!
Date: 11 Nov 2002 01:00:09
Message: <1866403.QqdKuM74Ax@3-e.net>
http://www-1.ibm.com/servers/eserver/zseries/os/linux/lcds/
Anyone keen to do a port of POVRay 3.5 to the S/390 platform?
:o)

--
Your connection failed because: Daemons loose in system.

Post a reply to this message

From: Theo
Subject: Re: Free time on Big Iron for Linux developers!
Date: 28 Nov 2002 16:59:16
Message: <3de691b4@news.povray.org>
Daniel Matthews wrote:

> Anyone keen to do a port of POVRay 3.5 to the S/390 platform?
Together with some colleagues I once ported DKBTrace from Amiga(?) to OS/2
and S/390. We tested the portability of ANSI C. It worked very well, after
one adjustment, we could compile the code. A simple scene
(red-sphere-above-checkered-floor) and run fine and a the output was in
every bit the same across all platforms tested. Because the mainframe did
not have a numeric processor it run about as fast as the 486 with OS/2!
The adjustment we had to do to compile the code on the s/390 was caused by
the 8 char limitation on linkable function names. We solved this by
#redefining all function names with 8 char stings.