POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.tools.poser : Future implementations of Poseray. A wish list Server Time
27 Apr 2024 17:07:26 EDT (-0400)
  Future implementations of Poseray. A wish list (Message 21 to 22 of 22)
From: FlyerX
Subject: Re: Future implementations of Poseray. Place of uv_mapping code
Date: 13 Nov 2009 11:51:14
Message: <4afd8e82@news.povray.org>
Thomas de Groot wrote:
> "FlyerX" <fly### [at] yahoocom> schreef in bericht
>> I put the uv_mapping inside the pigment and normal for more control. As
>> shown in the POV-Ray manual it can inside or outside of these statements. I
>> did not notice a problem because I have not used textures with alpha
>> channels in a very long time. Automatically putting uv_mapping outside the
>> pigment and normal should not be a problem. Thanks for the suggestions.
>
> Youa re welcome :-)
>
>> The material structure has changed significantly in format in the latest
>> PoseRay because it now supports specular and transparency mapping at the
>> same time. Also I dropped the use of the predefined Clear pigment with
>> transparency mapping since I was having problems with it. I replaced it by
>> color rgbft<0,0,0,1,1>. I do not remember exactly the reason (I will have
>> to review my notes) but I believe the transparency at the edges was not
>> working well with Clear.
>
> Ah yes. I think that I have noticed that as a side effect indeed.
>
>> I will try to release a preliminary version of PoseRay this week since it
>> has some of the many changes that were suggested in this forum plus other
>> fixes.
>
> Great! Looking forward to it!
>
>> Below are samples of the new PoseRay-generated materials. They have the
>> transformation at the end of each map. If any of you see anything wrong
>> with them please let me know (besides the uv_mapping issue). Most likely I
>> will have to define the textures before plugging them into the texture_map
>> entries so that uv_mapping could be placed outside the pigment.
>>
>> pigment only:
>> http://mysite.verizon.net/sfg0000/files/p.txt
>
> - I am not sure if a diffuse 1 is such a good idea. I prefer 0.6, or 0.8
> when using an image map, like in the current version .
> - Why a *double* declare for the pigment? It seems to me that only one
> should be enough, either PR_MAP_DIFFUSE or PF (well, I see some consistency
> now with the other pigments)
>
>> pigment only but multiplied by a color:
>> http://mysite.verizon.net/sfg0000/files/p_m.txt
>
> - Neat! I like this. I believe that this will work much better than the
> current, rather crude, texture layering.
>
>> pigment+transparency:
>> http://mysite.verizon.net/sfg0000/files/p_t.txt
>
> - OK. I see the change from Clear. Certainly works better.
>
>> pigment+finish+normal+transparency:
>> http://mysite.verizon.net/sfg0000/files/p_n_f_t.txt
>
> - This is a difficult one. I need to test this to see how it works. My first
> impression is that it looks fine however.
>
>> pigment+finish+normal:
>> http://mysite.verizon.net/sfg0000/files/p_n_f.txt
>
> - Same as above.
>
>> pigment+normal:
>> http://mysite.verizon.net/sfg0000/files/p_n.txt
>
> - I think you put the wrong example file here. No normal visible.
>

> Looking good overall. I am thrilled!
>
> Thomas

Fixed the pigment+normal sample. The double pigment comes from the color
multiplication. To avoid extra coding I just left it as is in case the
material has other layering. It is wasteful and I will look into
cleaning that up.

FlyerX

Post a reply to this message

From: Thomas de Groot
Date: 14 Nov 2009 03:34:19
Message: <4afe6b8b$1@news.povray.org>

> Fixed the pigment+normal sample. The double pigment comes from the color
> multiplication. To avoid extra coding I just left it as is in case the
> material has other layering. It is wasteful and I will look into cleaning
> that up.

Looking good. I think this is going to be a major improvement of Poseray.
Maybe others will come up with further comments, but at this stage I see
nothing wrong. A little testing round later may of course bring up
something.

Thomas