POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.tools.poser : PoserRay obj->inc->obj Server Time
23 Apr 2024 09:26:46 EDT (-0400)
  PoserRay obj->inc->obj (Message 1 to 6 of 6)
From: Tim Cook
Subject: PoserRay obj->inc->obj
Date: 20 Jun 2005 14:36:31
Message: <42b70caf@news.povray.org>
export obj from Poser (I used v. 6)
import to PoseRay 3.8.9
load displacement mesh
export as obj A
export as POV inc
import POV inc
export as obj B
load obj A as morph target in Poser, morph works as expected
load obj B as morph target in Poser, geometry of morph target is
completely different

End result:  even if you could export from obj to udo for import into
moray to convert to mesh 2 (so you can actually edit it) then back to
obj correctly (which you can't), the inc data is not valid.

So how in blazes does one make their own morph target for a poser figure
outside of directly editing the obj file by hand, assuming they even
know which points to work with?  'cuz you sure as heck can't do it in
Moray.  And displacement maps aren't good enough, as they only move the
faces or vertices along their normals, without allowing precise vertex
manipulation.  Is there a program which allows simple visual editing of
an obj, without all the extra features?  I just want to change the shape
of an existing obj to make a morph target; no addition or deletion of
anything.

--
Tim Cook
http://home.bellsouth.net/p/PWP-empyrean

Post a reply to this message

"So how in blazes does one make their own morph target for a poser figure
> outside of directly editing the obj file by hand, assuming they even
> know which points to work with?"

That is the way to do it, for the most part. I think the
subdivision/displacement mapping technique might be effective for adding
musculature to a full body, but for a face morph, you're best doing it by
the vertex in a full-blown modeling app. Blender is free and in the recent
version, it's proportional editing tool is vastly upgraded and great for
morph making.

Post a reply to this message

> That is the way to do it, for the most part. I think the
> subdivision/displacement mapping technique might be effective for adding
> musculature to a full body, but for a face morph, you're best doing it by
> the vertex in a full-blown modeling app. Blender is free and in the recent
> version, it's proportional editing tool is vastly upgraded and great for
> morph making.

Er I meant editing by hand in i.e. wordpad.  *shiver*  I tried Blender,
and find its interface to be...less than user-friendly.  Any tips for
that?  Moray is straightforward: shift+click selects (just like every
other windows program), and then you click-drag to move the point.
Blender is...who knows.  :P

--
Tim Cook
http://home.bellsouth.net/p/PWP-empyrean

Post a reply to this message

Well, get the 2.37 version of Blender. It's the one with a lot more control
over the proportional editing function. I have a very good python script
for the import/export, better than what's included with Blender, which I
can email you.

And the 2.0 guide is now online at:

http://download.blender.org/documentation/NaN_docs/Manual2.0/TOC2.html

Any questions, just ask. :O)

Post a reply to this message

Is there a program which allows simple visual editing of
> an obj, without all the extra features?  I just want to change the shape
> of an existing obj to make a morph target; no addition or deletion of
> anything.

Wings3D

Joanne
http://www.onewhiteraven.com