POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.tools.poser : No, no, I won't let it! Server Time
29 Mar 2024 04:42:12 EDT (-0400)
  No, no, I won't let it! (Message 1 to 10 of 12)
From: Dan P
Subject: No, no, I won't let it!
Date: 8 Mar 2004 19:27:24
Message: <404d0f6c$1@news.povray.org>
I won't let this thread empty!
POV-Poser fanatics be heard!

(Now, if I just had something to say...)

--
"I think co-ordinating 1000 prima donnas living all over the world will be
as easy as herding cats..."

Post a reply to this message

From: Jim Charter
Subject: Re: No, no, I won't let it!
Date: 9 Mar 2004 00:51:53
Message: <404d5b79$1@news.povray.org>
Dan P wrote:
> I won't let this thread empty!
> POV-Poser fanatics be heard!
>
> (Now, if I just had something to say...)

I say we get together and curate a small digital show of artwork
surveying the history of Poser within POV.
Perhaps we could scout the POV Web-ring for POV artists who make
particular use of Poser.

Mike Williams has a very nice gallery of of work featuring Poser models
in traditional studies.

Inspired by JC (Exether) and his statistics site
http://exether.free.fr/irtc/  perhaps we could analyse the historic use
of Poser in the contest.  The IRTC at the very least should provide a
source for some masterful examples of the combined use of these two tools

Or
Gilles' essay: Realistic characters for POV-Ray : a short review
http://www.mediaport.net/CP/Artichaud/Tran/gtran.en.html
might provide another slightly broader approach.  A short history of
figurative or character centric pictures in POV.

Post a reply to this message

From: Gilles Tran
Date: 9 Mar 2004 04:41:07
Message: <404d9133@news.povray.org>

> I say we get together and curate a small digital show of artwork
> surveying the history of Poser within POV.
> Perhaps we could scout the POV Web-ring for POV artists who make
> particular use of Poser.

Could be nice. My own history of Poser use is quite documented and starts
here http://www.oyonale.com/histoire/english/images1996.htm with this
picture http://www.oyonale.com/histoire/images/living.jpg, dated Sept 9,
1996. I could really churn them out then (sigh): most of these primitive
Poser images were created in a few weeks.

> Gilles' essay: Realistic characters for POV-Ray : a short review
> http://www.mediaport.net/CP/Artichaud/Tran/gtran.en.html

Hmm, this site should no longer exists in fact. It was taken down when I
moved to Oyonale and has somehow resurfaced. I removed this page from
Oyonale because updating it was getting really complicated: a good number of
the links are dead, a lot is now false or inaccurate and a lot should be
added. Its contents only reflect what was going on 3-4 years ago.

G.

--

**********************
http://www.oyonale.com

Post a reply to this message

From: Jim Charter
Date: 9 Mar 2004 09:03:42
Message: <404dcebe$1@news.povray.org>
Gilles Tran wrote:

> Hmm, this site should no longer exists in fact. It was taken down when I
> moved to Oyonale and has somehow resurfaced. I removed this page from
> Oyonale because updating it was getting really complicated: a good number of
> the links are dead, a lot is now false or inaccurate and a lot should be
> added. Its contents only reflect what was going on 3-4 years ago.

Maybe I'll just save a copy then in my "Gilles" download folder. I
always thought that it was a great little summary.  The way you are
generous with your knowledge.  It talked about that place where
technical intersects content.  And as a relative newbie then, I was
reassured that my understanding of the situation was in fact correct.
Made the whole enterprise a lot less threatening.

Post a reply to this message

From: Gilles Tran
Date: 9 Mar 2004 09:39:03
Message: <404dd707@news.povray.org>

> Maybe I'll just save a copy then in my "Gilles" download folder. I
> always thought that it was a great little summary.  The way you are
> generous with your knowledge.  It talked about that place where
> technical intersects content.  And as a relative newbie then, I was
> reassured that my understanding of the situation was in fact correct.
> Made the whole enterprise a lot less threatening.

Thanks for your comments. I'm glad you found it useful. It was less
generosity than laziness, though. Because my images contained human and
animal figures, I had many questions concerning them (most people assumed
that I modelled them myself) so it was just easier to write a summary than
to repeat the same things over and over. The same thing happened for the uv
tutorial, which was written, and now discontinued, for the same reasons. The
problem with generic tutorials like these is that they age very quickly. If
not updated every 6 months they become just misleading. Even my xfrog ->
povray tutorial, which was written a year ago, is quite obsolete now.

G.

--

**********************
http://www.oyonale.com

From: Ian Shumsky
Date: 9 Mar 2004 19:13:07
Message: <404e5d93$1@news.povray.org>
> Even my xfrog -> povray tutorial, which was written
> a year ago, is quite obsolete now.

Oh :(  I was hoping to use some of your tips to help me get some nice
results now that I've managed to find time to get back to POV. What do you
think is no longer relevant?

Cheers,
Ian.

Post a reply to this message

From: Dan P
Date: 9 Mar 2004 19:51:01
Message: <404e6675$1@news.povray.org>
"Dan P" <dan### [at] yahoocom> wrote in message
> I won't let this thread empty!
> POV-Poser fanatics be heard!
>
> (Now, if I just had something to say...)

*beaming* The thread lives on! Viva la thread! :-)

Post a reply to this message

From: Gilles Tran
Date: 10 Mar 2004 03:43:47
Message: <404ed543@news.povray.org>

> Oh :(  I was hoping to use some of your tips to help me get some nice
> results now that I've managed to find time to get back to POV. What do you
> think is no longer relevant?

One thing is that Xfrog moved from version 3.5, which was standalone, to
version 4.0, which only exists as a Cinema4D plug-in (and from my first
tests exporting from there works differently). It's still possible to buy
the 3.5 version though, so the tutorial is still valid for this one, but it
doesn't reflect the conversion process for both versions.
Also, Poseray is updated very often, things move around in the screens so
I'd need to download the latest version and go through the tutorial once
again to make sure that what I wrote is still valid. I already had to
rewrite the tutorial once even before it went live!
"Obsolete" is perhaps too strong a word. I won't remove the tutorial like I
removed the others but still it's no longer accurate.

G.

--

**********************
http://www.oyonale.com

From: Ian Shumsky
Date: 10 Mar 2004 13:37:29
Message: <404f6069$1@news.povray.org>
"Gilles Tran" <tra### [at] inapginrafr> wrote in message
> "Obsolete" is perhaps too strong a word. I won't remove
the tutorial like I
> removed the others but still it's no longer accurate.

Thanks for the update -- I have XFrog 3.5 so I think there
will still be a lot of useful info there.

Cheers,
Ian

Post a reply to this message

From: Jim Charter
Date: 11 Mar 2004 18:00:19
Message: <4050ef83$1@news.povray.org>
Jim Charter wrote:

> I say we get together and curate a small digital show of artwork
> surveying the history of Poser within POV.
> Perhaps we could scout the POV Web-ring for POV artists who make
> particular use of Poser.

Well, no bites, so I guess I'm on my own.  I looked through a couple of
POV Web-Rings, a Japanese one and one Rune seems to be associated with.
  There seem to be others.  I also went through all the pictures the
placed during the history of the IRTC and found about 40+ works which
cited Poser as a Tool Used.  There are also a handful of works which are
very well done and are character centric but which didn't use Poser or
in some cases even POV.  I can think of another handful of works from
the contest that didn't place but which made interesting use of Poser.
So I am not quite sure what it will be, but I am interested in the
concept of a "curated" show.  An the introduction of the poser ng group
seems like as good an occasion as any.  I do think it is timely too
because of a growing acceptance of mesh, and its potential for character
modelling, that may be developing.  If this makes any sense in the end
then shows featuring other interests and aspects of POV could be
contemplated too.

So if anyone knows of any great POV/Poser work out there that I may not
be likely to dig up, English Lamguage and IRTC centric as I am, make me
aware of it or forever hold your peace.

Jim the New Curator :P