POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.tools.general : Using SpectralDB.com's SPDs in Ive's Spectral Render System Server Time
29 Apr 2024 11:09:23 EDT (-0400)
  Using SpectralDB.com's SPDs in Ive's Spectral Render System (Message 1 to 3 of 3)
From: BayashiPascal
Subject: Using SpectralDB.com's SPDs in Ive's Spectral Render System
Date: 9 Aug 2023 02:30:00
Message: <web.64d3321e27fc4fc5b4c70bf11749e915@news.povray.org>
Thanks to the recent post by Cousin Ricky I came to know about Ive's Spectral
Render System. It's really clever indeed, but it lacks input data: SPDs are not
easy to obtain. Ive addresses the problem by providing macros to create new SPDs
from existing ones, and Cousin Ricky by providing macros to create new SPDs from
RGB values. But there also exists databases of accurate SPDs for real world
materials. spectraldb.com is a very large one of them (1294 measurements at the
time of writing). It happens I've made a tool to edit SPDs for my own purpose,
which can exploit that database, and I realised it would be straightforward to
adapt it to easily use spectraldb.com's SPDs in Ive's Spectral Render System.
You'll find the app here:

https://baillehachepascal.dev/Tools/ReflectanceEditor/index.html

and explanations in the article linked in the footer of the app. In short, the
app lets you select one of the SPDs available in spectraldb, and has a
functionality to convert the data into the format expected by Ive's tool, ready
to copy-paste.

Hoping it will be useful to some of new, questions and comments are welcome.

Pascal

Post a reply to this message

"BayashiPascal" <inf### [at] baillehachepascaldev> wrote:
> Thanks to the recent post by Cousin Ricky I came to know about Ive's Spectral
> Render System. It's really clever indeed, but it lacks input data: SPDs are not
> easy to obtain. Ive addresses the problem by providing macros to create new SPDs
> from existing ones, and Cousin Ricky by providing macros to create new SPDs from
> RGB values. But there also exists databases of accurate SPDs for real world
> materials. spectraldb.com is a very large one of them (1294 measurements at the
> time of writing). It happens I've made a tool to edit SPDs for my own purpose,
> which can exploit that database, and I realised it would be straightforward to
> adapt it to easily use spectraldb.com's SPDs in Ive's Spectral Render System.
> You'll find the app here:
>
> https://baillehachepascal.dev/Tools/ReflectanceEditor/index.html
>
> and explanations in the article linked in the footer of the app. In short, the
> app lets you select one of the SPDs available in spectraldb, and has a
> functionality to convert the data into the format expected by Ive's tool, ready
> to copy-paste.
>
> Hoping it will be useful to some of new, questions and comments are welcome.
>
> Pascal

Wow, the website (spectraldb.com) offers many good reference.

Your website is interesting, too.

Post a reply to this message

> Wow, the website (spectraldb.com) offers many good reference.

Yes, it's a great resource.

> Your website is interesting, too.

Thank you.