POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.tools.general : Real-time ray tracer with POV-Ray SDL support Server Time: 14 Dec 2018 15:11:20 GMT
  Real-time ray tracer with POV-Ray SDL support (Message 1 to 8 of 8)  
From: Tuomas Tonteri
Subject: Real-time ray tracer with POV-Ray SDL support
Date: 6 Jun 2016 17:30:01
Message: <web.5755b01f7d8f5ba666267b190@news.povray.org>
Hello everyone!

I wish to announce a freeware modelling tool that partially supports POV-Ray SDL
and provides smooth real-time ray traced visualization.

Here is a screenshot of the user interface:

http://www.infinity3dengine.com/get-infinity/3d-modeller/3d-modeller.png?hires

And the program is currently available for Windows and Linux at:

http://www.infinity3dengine.com/get-infinity/3d-modeller

At the time of writing the program supports primitive shapes such as sphere,
cylinder, cone, box, torus etc., several planar shapes, arbitrary transforms and
CSG.

The modeling tool is powered by real-time ray tracing engine that supports
non-planar geometry just like POV-Ray.

The current modeling program is functionally similar to OpenSCAD software
but with POV-Ray SDL instead of the OpenSCAD language and without an inbuild
text editor.

I hope you find the program useful.

Tuomas


Post a reply to this message

From: clipka
Subject: Re: Real-time ray tracer with POV-Ray SDL support
Date: 6 Jun 2016 21:29:51
Message: <5755eb4f$1@news.povray.org>
Am 06.06.2016 um 19:23 schrieb Tuomas Tonteri:

> I wish to announce a freeware modelling tool that partially supports POV-Ray SDL
> and provides smooth real-time ray traced visualization.

That's definitely something to take a look at.

(Now where the heck are my round tuits when I need them most?)


Post a reply to this message

From: Bald Eagle
Subject: Re: Real-time ray tracer with POV-Ray SDL support
Date: 21 Jun 2016 12:25:00
Message: <web.5769319c72f911cd80403a200@news.povray.org>
Thanks so much, Tuomas, for working on this!  :)
I think that a good modeler is something that a lot of people want, and it's
been a long time since I've used one for creating scenes in POV-Ray.

Finally have some time off work and a bit of time, so I downloaded from your
site and took a quick look.

I'll give you my unfiltered initial impressions, since I myself find that sort
of feedback most valuable when developing something new.  Familiarity tends to
sweep things into the cracks.

The download was very fast - I like the small (13 MB) executable.
Install was fast and trouble-free.
Very nice sample scene - simple, elegant, pleasing to the eye.

I was unsure what to do next, so I explored the menu.
I tried "Viewport" - "Walk mode"
Whatever method you're using to move the scene with the mouse is very similar to
some of 3D molecular modeling packages I've used.  I tend to "lose my way"
easily, and the scene gets canted ever further from the starting point.  I have
to do a "swirling" motion with the mouse to progressively rotate the scene back.
  I find it a little awkward - perhaps something to think about.

Something very nice would be an "origin marker" that could be moved, and then
all rotations of the scene would be relative to that.  I'd think that typically
when one models a scene, one wants to hold there focus on a specific part of it,
and then switch back and forth between various "views"
Maybe there could be a toolbar and some hotkeys to "bookmark" these for quick
access, and a way to return to the default view.

I tried to "rotate" the scene, but it appears that what happens is that the
scene is rotated around the camera location.

The arrow keys perform the same rotation - I was unsure of how to do a straight
PAN and slide along an axis.

Then I tried to exit "Walk" mode, and the modeller (modeler?) seemed to keep
full control of the mouse.  Perhaps there ought to be a way to release the mouse
so that it can be used outside of the modeler window in the rest of the OS.

I tried using the [ALT] key to access the menu, but there seems to be some bugs
there.   [ALT] brings up the underlining of the menu options, but [ALT]-[V] did
nothing, [ALT]-[W] zooms in, [ALT] - [Q][W][E][A][S][D][Z][X] all control the
screen view.  [CTRL]-[C] Turns on "walk" but does not toggle it off as might be
expected.  [ESC] works.

OK, my son is up, and so the rest of my day is tied up  :)   ;)
Hope this helps a little, and thanks again!


Post a reply to this message

From: Tuomas Tonteri
Subject: Re: Real-time ray tracer with POV-Ray SDL support
Date: 22 Jun 2016 12:20:00
Message: <web.576a70fc72f911cd66267b190@news.povray.org>
"Bald Eagle" <cre### [at] netscapenet> wrote:
> Thanks so much, Tuomas, for working on this!  :)

Thanks for feedback!

> I think that a good modeler is something that a lot of people want, and it's
> been a long time since I've used one for creating scenes in POV-Ray.

I think one use of the current release is being able to see real-time
updated viewport while typing in POV-Ray SDL in one's favourite text editor, and
being able to smoothly change the view using mouse controls independent of what
camera is set to in the scene file.

> I'll give you my unfiltered initial impressions, since I myself find that sort
> of feedback most valuable when developing something new.  Familiarity tends to
> sweep things into the cracks.

It is the kind of feedback a dev appreciates.

> I was unsure what to do next, so I explored the menu.
> I tried "Viewport" - "Walk mode"
> Whatever method you're using to move the scene with the mouse is very similar to
> some of 3D molecular modeling packages I've used.  I tend to "lose my way"
> easily, and the scene gets canted ever further from the starting point.  I have
> to do a "swirling" motion with the mouse to progressively rotate the scene back.
>   I find it a little awkward - perhaps something to think about.

Yes, the "walk mode" is for exploring the scene in first person while normal
mouse controls are for 3D modeling - I think you didn't get a change to try the
latter.

> Something very nice would be an "origin marker" that could be moved, and then
> all rotations of the scene would be relative to that.  I'd think that typically
> when one models a scene, one wants to hold there focus on a specific part of it,
> and then switch back and forth between various "views"
> Maybe there could be a toolbar and some hotkeys to "bookmark" these for quick
> access, and a way to return to the default view.

I think these are all very good ideas. Currently, all viewport rotations
happen around world space origin, except in the first person "walk mode".

> I tried to "rotate" the scene, but it appears that what happens is that the
> scene is rotated around the camera location.
>
> The arrow keys perform the same rotation - I was unsure of how to do a straight
> PAN and slide along an axis.

For rotate and slide to work first the "walk mode" needs to be disabled. Then
these work by dragging mouse over the viewport. The first button does slide,
the second button does rotate and the third button does zoom.

> Then I tried to exit "Walk" mode, and the modeller (modeler?) seemed to keep
> full control of the mouse.  Perhaps there ought to be a way to release the mouse
> so that it can be used outside of the modeler window in the rest of the OS.

As you found out in the end, [ESC] exits the 'walk' and releases the mouse - but
[CRTL]-[C] should work also. You found a bug in the Windows version.

> I tried using the [ALT] key to access the menu, but there seems to be some bugs
> there.   [ALT] brings up the underlining of the menu options, but [ALT]-[V] did
> nothing

Apparently, this is another Windows version bug. This menu functionality doesn't
work while in the first person 'walk' mode.


Post a reply to this message

From: Stephen
Subject: Re: Real-time ray tracer with POV-Ray SDL support
Date: 22 Jun 2016 14:21:14
Message: <576a9eda$1@news.povray.org>
On 6/6/2016 6:23 PM, Tuomas Tonteri wrote:
>
> Hello everyone!
>

[Snip]

.
>
> I hope you find the program useful.
>
> Tuomas
>
>

Hello Tuomas,
I downloaded your program and loaded a Pov file I am rendering.

I got the error bellow.

It is part of an animation that includes another smaller animation, 
repetitively.





Loading POV-ray scene: F:\Graphics\B3D 
Data\Scenes\Test\Stereo\Earth\06\2\R\R_Lights02_0000.pov

[Snip]

Parser error: filename 'F:\Graphics\B3D 
Data\Scenes\Test\Stereo\Earth\06\2\R\R_Lights02_0000.pov' line number 25:

#include concat("f:\\Graphics\\B3D 
Data\\Scenes\\Earth_Inside\\Chain02G1\\Chain02G2Y_",str(mod(frame_number,89),-4,0),".pov")
           ^
Requiring '"' here

-- 

Regards
     Stephen


Post a reply to this message

From: Tuomas Tonteri
Subject: Re: Real-time ray tracer with POV-Ray SDL support
Date: 22 Jun 2016 16:00:00
Message: <web.576ab31b72f911cd66267b190@news.povray.org>
Stephen <mca### [at] aolcom> wrote:

> Loading POV-ray scene: F:\Graphics\B3D
> Data\Scenes\Test\Stereo\Earth\06\2\R\R_Lights02_0000.pov
>
> [Snip]
>
> Parser error: filename 'F:\Graphics\B3D
> Data\Scenes\Test\Stereo\Earth\06\2\R\R_Lights02_0000.pov' line number 25:
>
> #include concat("f:\\Graphics\\B3D
>
Data\\Scenes\\Earth_Inside\\Chain02G1\\Chain02G2Y_",str(mod(frame_number,89),-4,0),".pov")
>            ^
> Requiring '"' here

Hi Stephen,

Unfortunately, several features of POV-Ray SDL are not yet supported. In this
particular case the problem is that string functions are not supported.
Consequently, the parser expects a quoted string after #include.

A list of unsupported features is available here:

http://www.infinity3dengine.com/about/povray-sdl

To give a general idea, about 33% of scenes in 'scenes/advanced' directory load
without error and give non-background display.


Post a reply to this message

From: Stephen
Subject: Re: Real-time ray tracer with POV-Ray SDL support
Date: 22 Jun 2016 16:46:47
Message: <576ac0f7$1@news.povray.org>
On 6/22/2016 4:54 PM, Tuomas Tonteri wrote:
> Hi Stephen,
>
> Unfortunately, several features of POV-Ray SDL are not yet supported. In this
> particular case the problem is that string functions are not supported.
> Consequently, the parser expects a quoted string after #include.
>
> A list of unsupported features is available here:
>
> http://www.infinity3dengine.com/about/povray-sdl
>
> To give a general idea, about 33% of scenes in 'scenes/advanced' directory load
> without error and give non-background display.


In that case, keep posting updates as you do them. A parser for SDL will 
be most welcome. :)

OS Win 6 x 64 bit

I found that Ctrl + C * did not exit walk through.
When I am panning, rolling or zooming. It would be useful if shift (or 
another key) would increase the rate of change of the mouse movement.
I hope that makes sense. :)

*
I thought that you were going back to the days when Ctrl + C stopped the 
program running.

-- 

Regards
     Stephen


Post a reply to this message

From: Coral
Subject: Re: Real-time ray tracer with POV-Ray SDL support
Date: 30 Nov 2016 15:05:00
Message: <web.583ee83e72f911cd66267b190@news.povray.org>
There is now a video, giving a glimpse of how this real-time ray tracer looks
like and also how possible coming releases of the modeler show imported POV-Ray
objects.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UR4DSgjPVWg

Note: This nick represents this software.


Post a reply to this message

Copyright 2003-2008 Persistence of Vision Raytracer Pty. Ltd.