POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.tools.general : Blender 2.5x exporter for POV-Ray 3.7 Server Time
28 Mar 2024 10:07:57 EDT (-0400)
  Blender 2.5x exporter for POV-Ray 3.7 (Message 1 to 6 of 6)
From: Conz
Subject: Blender 2.5x exporter for POV-Ray 3.7
Date: 20 Jan 2011 11:35:00
Message: <web.4d3863d984d0e19ad03fac3f0@news.povray.org>
Hi,

I'm one of the developers for the Blender 2.5x to POV-Ray 3.7 exporter.

1. One of our targets is to have a nice working POV-Ray exporter for the final
POV-Ray 3.7 - for that we could need your help as testers.

The newest exporter requires Blender 2.56 r34318 or later!
That is much newer than the last official Blender 2.56a version from
http://www.blender.org.
To get the newest Blender you can get one at http://www.graphicall.org/builds/
or build your own out of the sources from http://www.blender.org
Builds from today will have the latest exporter.

The newes exporter can also downloaded here (req. Blender 2.56 r34318 or later):
https://svn.blender.org/svnroot/bf-extensions/trunk/py/scripts/addons/render_povray/

The scripts are palced in (BlenderDir)/2.56/scripts/addons/render_povray/

Please report any bugs here or as a comment in the bug tracker from Blender:
https://projects.blender.org/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=23145

2. How to use the exporter and the current features can be found here:
http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/Extensions:2.5/Py/Scripts/Render/POV-Ray#POV-Ray_3.7
(Wiki is also "Work in progress")
Do you have any hints for the wiki or feature requests for the exporter? Please
answer here or in the comments of the bug tacker.
Are the links to the POV-Ray Wiki the best ones? I would prefer a little bit
shorter discription for "command line switches" than the one I'm linking to.

3. Would it be possible to create an own area for blender, under Newsgroups ->
POV-Ray Tools -> Blender ?

4. Is there a way to get the rendered image from POV-Ray back to Blender without
using an image on HD?

Greetings and happy Blending,
Conz (at) vrchannel.de

Post a reply to this message

> I'm one of the developers for the Blender 2.5x to POV-Ray 3.7 exporter.
>

> 1. One of our targets is to have a nice working POV-Ray exporter for the final
> POV-Ray 3.7 - for that we could need your help as testers.
>
> The newest exporter requires Blender 2.56 r34318 or later!
> That is much newer than the last official Blender 2.56a version from
> http://www.blender.org.
> To get the newest Blender you can get one at http://www.graphicall.org/builds/
> or build your own out of the sources from http://www.blender.org
> Builds from today will have the latest exporter.
>
> The newes exporter can also downloaded here (req. Blender 2.56 r34318 or later):
> https://svn.blender.org/svnroot/bf-extensions/trunk/py/scripts/addons/render_povray/
>
> The scripts are palced in (BlenderDir)/2.56/scripts/addons/render_povray/
>
> Please report any bugs here or as a comment in the bug tracker from Blender:
> https://projects.blender.org/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=23145
>

> 2. How to use the exporter and the current features can be found here:

http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/Extensions:2.5/Py/Scripts/Render/POV-Ray#POV-Ray_3.7
> (Wiki is also "Work in progress")
> Do you have any hints for the wiki or feature requests for the exporter? Please
> answer here or in the comments of the bug tacker.
> Are the links to the POV-Ray Wiki the best ones? I would prefer a little bit
> shorter discription for "command line switches" than the one I'm linking to.

yea, I've looked at this exporter a few iterations ago.  I think it's
promising, specially for being integrated so tightly with Blender.

I think asking for help from the povray crowd here would be easier if
providing ready-made scenes for them to test povray rendering from
inside Blender -- people here are not that keen on blender's interface
and indeed are more used to textually typing CSG scenes than handling
polygon models in a visual manner.

Which is why I'm linking this awesome collection of scenes from Jeremy
Birn's Lighting Challenge page:

http://www.3drender.com/challenges/index.htm

some of them come ready in Blender format, but all come with OBJ format
for those wanting to import from Blender (and work out some settings).

In any case, those wanting to test and help now don't even to mess with
the models or even materials:  simply open one of these scenes, put in
some light source, activate the povray exporter and then go on to the
Render tab, world settings etc.

oh, heck.  I'll do that when I have some time...

> 3. Would it be possible to create an own area for blender, under Newsgroups ->
> POV-Ray Tools -> Blender ?

There are so many povray tools out there that don't have their own
newsgroups.  OTOH, an integrated blender one could turn out to be far
more popular than even poseray...

> 4. Is there a way to get the rendered image from POV-Ray back to Blender without
> using an image on HD?

hope someone more knowledgeable replies to this.

--
a game sig: http://tinyurl.com/d3rxz9

Post a reply to this message