POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.tools.general : An SDL program for building information modeling (BIM) Server Time
28 Mar 2024 13:06:06 EDT (-0400)
  An SDL program for building information modeling (BIM) (Message 1 to 2 of 2)
From: Kene
Subject: An SDL program for building information modeling (BIM)
Date: 25 Apr 2010 19:35:01
Message: <web.4bd4cf70b17ef18d772dd76f0@news.povray.org>
Hi everyone:

We wish to announce that kobldes is available at
http://sourceforge.net/projects/kobldes/. There are also some screen shots that
show the progress in capabilities during development.

This is a work-in-progress modeling system scripted in POV-Ray SDL to assist
architects and designers in modeling building information. It can also output
pure POV-Ray SDL code for additional tweaking.

It offers a different approach to traditional building design tools which I
think is more fun and more like the real situation i.e. it allows you to:
- Create building spaces
- Create building levels
- Configure sides of the spaces (walls)
- Use snap points to support the modeling process (this is not unique in CAD but
it is unique in POV-Ray)
- Then finally, allows you to export your building as SDL making it possible to
go beyond its capabilities

It is still early in its development so not all building processes are
supported, notably you cannot create windows and doors yet. It is undergoing
active development and is being used in current professional projects to analyze
space design. We hope to use it completely in the design and documentation of
buildings including the production of flat 2D drawings (plans, elevations,
sections, details, etc)

If you are a designer or you like to model buildings using POV-Ray, feel free to
use kobldes. Give us feedback on your experience, we will be happy to hear from
you. The web site for discussion on POV-Ray (http://www.illom.org) is not ready
yet but will be within the week. As for now you can provide feedbacks by mailing
to ken### [at] illomorg. Documentation is a little behind but is included
anyway. Hopefully it will be up to date within the week as well.

Thanks especially to the kind folks in the POV-Ray community that provided
encouragement to this on-going project. I hope sincerely that it adds to the
wonderful POV-Ray program which amazes every time especially when compared to
other similar available programs.

Sincerely,

Kene

Post a reply to this message