POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.tools.general : 3dsmax/3ds viz and pov ray. Server Time
23 Apr 2024 11:27:55 EDT (-0400)
  3dsmax/3ds viz and pov ray. (Message 1 to 10 of 23)
From: einarabelc5
Subject: 3dsmax/3ds viz and pov ray.
Date: 13 Oct 2006 15:05:01
Message: <web.452fe32ddec2ed69b3ef1e1c0@news.povray.org>
Hello Folks:

I am trying to use pov ray in unix as a renderer of architectural files
created in 3d Studio Viz/3d Studio max.

I've been looking for an exporter/format translator from .ase files (which
3ds MAx exports)  to the .pov format. I found this:
http://www.tb-software.com/products.html

It does work; I can render lights in POV ray using the .ase format from
3dsmax, then importing it in 3dwin and exporting to .pov to render finally
in unix.

The only thing is the render looks cartoonish, I mean like if it was using
the cartoon shader, which I deactivated on 3dwin when doing the exporting
to pov.

Do you know of any converter/exporter that does the transformation form .ase
to .pov effectively?

I already tried Polytrans which exports directly to .pov but POV RAY doesn't
process the results...

Also used polytrans&3dwin to try combinations of formats, the most
satisfactory so far is the .ase which DOES NOT require polytrans only
default 3ds max capabilities.

P.S. If it works in UNIX/linux that would be a significant plus

Many thanks in advance. (y)

P.S.S Feel free to email me and I'll send a render of the cartoonish image
in comparison with the same scene rendered with NVIDIA GELATO....which is
kind of opaque.

Post a reply to this message

in fact, material conversion is one of the most crucial things in 3D.
Only looking at the pictures provided will not give any hint where the
problems is.

If you could reduce the problem to a small ase file, just post it here
and i can investigate the issue.

Thank you

-tb

On Fri, 13 Oct 2006 15:04:40 EDT, "einarabelc5"
<ein### [at] hotmailcom> wrote:

>Hello Folks:
>
>I am trying to use pov ray in unix as a renderer of architectural files
>created in 3d Studio Viz/3d Studio max.
>
>I've been looking for an exporter/format translator from .ase files (which
>3ds MAx exports)  to the .pov format. I found this:
>http://www.tb-software.com/products.html
>
>It does work; I can render lights in POV ray using the .ase format from
>3dsmax, then importing it in 3dwin and exporting to .pov to render finally
>in unix.
>
>The only thing is the render looks cartoonish, I mean like if it was using
>the cartoon shader, which I deactivated on 3dwin when doing the exporting
>to pov.
>

>Do you know of any converter/exporter that does the transformation form .ase
>to .pov effectively?
>
>I already tried Polytrans which exports directly to .pov but POV RAY doesn't
>process the results...
>
>Also used polytrans&3dwin to try combinations of formats, the most
>satisfactory so far is the .ase which DOES NOT require polytrans only
>default 3ds max capabilities.
>
>P.S. If it works in UNIX/linux that would be a significant plus
>
>Many thanks in advance. (y)
>
>P.S.S Feel free to email me and I'll send a render of the cartoonish image
>in comparison with the same scene rendered with NVIDIA GELATO....which is
>kind of opaque.

Post a reply to this message

"einarabelc5" <ein### [at] hotmailcom> wrote:
> Hello Folks:
>
> I am trying to use pov ray in unix as a renderer of architectural files
> created in 3d Studio Viz/3d Studio max.
>
> I've been looking for an exporter/format translator from .ase files (which
> 3ds MAx exports)  to the .pov format. I found this:
> http://www.tb-software.com/products.html
>
> It does work; I can render lights in POV ray using the .ase format from
> 3dsmax, then importing it in 3dwin and exporting to .pov to render finally
> in unix.
>
> The only thing is the render looks cartoonish, I mean like if it was using
> the cartoon shader, which I deactivated on 3dwin when doing the exporting
> to pov.
>

> Do you know of any converter/exporter that does the transformation form .ase
> to .pov effectively?
>
> I already tried Polytrans which exports directly to .pov but POV RAY doesn't
> process the results...
>
> Also used polytrans&3dwin to try combinations of formats, the most
> satisfactory so far is the .ase which DOES NOT require polytrans only
> default 3ds max capabilities.
>
> P.S. If it works in UNIX/linux that would be a significant plus
>
> Many thanks in advance. (y)
>
> P.S.S Feel free to email me and I'll send a render of the cartoonish image
> in comparison with the same scene rendered with NVIDIA GELATO....which is
> kind of opaque.
Here is the link to the renders in Gelato Forums...

http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=19820

So how do I post the .ase file?

I could just zip it and I think that'll do it. But where do I post it? This
newsgroup doesn't offer the chance to do attachments. I guess i'll need an
email for that. And there's no Private messaging neither....

Post a reply to this message

From: einarabelc5
Date: 17 Oct 2006 08:30:01
Message: <web.4534cbda6ba6d37b731777170@news.povray.org>
"einarabelc5" <ein### [at] hotmailcom> wrote:
> "einarabelc5" <ein### [at] hotmailcom> wrote:
> > Hello Folks:
> >
> > I am trying to use pov ray in unix as a renderer of architectural files
> > created in 3d Studio Viz/3d Studio max.
> >
> > I've been looking for an exporter/format translator from .ase files (which
> > 3ds MAx exports)  to the .pov format. I found this:
> > http://www.tb-software.com/products.html
> >
> > It does work; I can render lights in POV ray using the .ase format from
> > 3dsmax, then importing it in 3dwin and exporting to .pov to render finally
> > in unix.
> >
> > The only thing is the render looks cartoonish, I mean like if it was using
> > the cartoon shader, which I deactivated on 3dwin when doing the exporting
> > to pov.
> >

> > Do you know of any converter/exporter that does the transformation form .ase
> > to .pov effectively?
> >
> > I already tried Polytrans which exports directly to .pov but POV RAY doesn't
> > process the results...
> >
> > Also used polytrans&3dwin to try combinations of formats, the most
> > satisfactory so far is the .ase which DOES NOT require polytrans only
> > default 3ds max capabilities.
> >
> > P.S. If it works in UNIX/linux that would be a significant plus
> >
> > Many thanks in advance. (y)
> >
> > P.S.S Feel free to email me and I'll send a render of the cartoonish image
> > in comparison with the same scene rendered with NVIDIA GELATO....which is
> > kind of opaque.
> Here is the link to the renders in Gelato Forums...
>
> http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=19820
>
> So how do I post the .ase file?
>
> I could just zip it and I think that'll do it. But where do I post it? This
> newsgroup doesn't offer the chance to do attachments. I guess i'll need an
> email for that. And there's no Private messaging neither....

PLZ check here:

http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?act=ST&f=3&t=19820&st=0#entry120168

Thanks.

Post a reply to this message

From: Doctor John
Date: 17 Oct 2006 10:31:36
Message: <4534e948$1@news.povray.org>
"einarabelc5" <ein### [at] hotmailcom> wrote in message
<snip> ...
>> So how do I post the .ase file?
>>
>> I could just zip it and I think that'll do it. But where do I post it?
>> This
>> newsgroup doesn't offer the chance to do attachments.
Maybe, but you can post to p.b.s-f with attachments. That's one of the
reasons it's there. ;-)

John
--
"Please refrain from fondling the nymphs and sprites
- it makes them giggly and skittish.

Post a reply to this message

From: einarabelc5
Date: 17 Oct 2006 12:00:01
Message: <web.4534fdce6ba6d37b79603dca0@news.povray.org>
"Doctor John" <doc### [at] linuxmailorg> wrote:
> "einarabelc5" <ein### [at] hotmailcom> wrote in message
> <snip> ...
> >> So how do I post the .ase file?
> >>
> >> I could just zip it and I think that'll do it. But where do I post it?
> >> This
> >> newsgroup doesn't offer the chance to do attachments.
> Maybe, but you can post to p.b.s-f with attachments. That's one of the
> reasons it's there. ;-)
>
> John
> --
> "Please refrain from fondling the nymphs and sprites
> - it makes them giggly and skittish.
> Thank you for your co-operation.
> The Management"

And what's that?

Any way look at the link to the NVIDIA Forum all the needed files are there.

Post a reply to this message

From: St
Date: 17 Oct 2006 12:08:06
Message: <4534ffe6@news.povray.org>
> "Doctor John" <doc### [at] linuxmailorg> wrote:
>> "einarabelc5" <ein### [at] hotmailcom> wrote in message
>> <snip> ...

>> Maybe, but you can post to p.b.s-f with attachments. That's one of the
>> reasons it's there. ;-)
>>

> And what's that?

     Povray.binaries.scene-files group. You may find it easier to point a
newsreader in the direction of news.povray.org and download the groups.

       ~Steve~

Post a reply to this message

From: einarabelc5
Date: 17 Oct 2006 17:15:00
Message: <web.453546db6ba6d37b79603dca0@news.povray.org>
"St." <dot### [at] dotcom> wrote:
> "einarabelc5" <ein### [at] hotmailcom> wrote in message
> > "Doctor John" <doc### [at] linuxmailorg> wrote:
> >> "einarabelc5" <ein### [at] hotmailcom> wrote in message
> >> <snip> ...

> >> Maybe, but you can post to p.b.s-f with attachments. That's one of the
> >> reasons it's there. ;-)
> >>

> > And what's that?
>
>      Povray.binaries.scene-files group. You may find it easier to point a
> newsreader in the direction of news.povray.org and download the groups.
>
>        ~Steve~

Look man I cant do that since my company firewall has blocked the outgoing
to news servers...

Now I wonder why can't you just help me out to solve my problem giving it
priority over configuring a newsreader. In the link I've posted many times
the actual ZIP files are aviable. Just go there and grab them for analysis
if you want to help me.

AGAIN THE LINK IS THIS ONE:

http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=19820

Break a leg. (y)
Thanks.

Post a reply to this message

From: St
Date: 17 Oct 2006 18:34:24
Message: <45355a70$1@news.povray.org>
> "St." <dot### [at] dotcom> wrote:
>> "einarabelc5" <ein### [at] hotmailcom> wrote in message

>> > And what's that?
>>
>>      Povray.binaries.scene-files group. You may find it easier to point a
>> newsreader in the direction of news.povray.org and download the groups.
>>
>>        ~Steve~
>
> Look man I cant do that since my company firewall has blocked the outgoing
> to news servers...

     Well duh, as if I knew that, man.

> Now I wonder why can't you just help me out to solve my problem giving it
> priority over configuring a newsreader. In the link I've posted many times
> the actual ZIP files are aviable. Just go there and grab them for analysis
> if you want to help me.

        Help you? No.

         Bye.

       ~Steve~

Post a reply to this message

From: einarabelc5
Date: 17 Oct 2006 21:45:00
Message: <web.4535868d6ba6d37b731777170@news.povray.org>
"St." <dot### [at] dotcom> wrote:
> "einarabelc5" <ein### [at] hotmailcom> wrote in message
> > "St." <dot### [at] dotcom> wrote:
> >> "einarabelc5" <ein### [at] hotmailcom> wrote in message

> >>      Povray.binaries.scene-files group. You may find it easier to point a
> >> newsreader in the direction of news.povray.org and download the groups.
> >>
> >>        ~Steve~
> >
> > Look man I cant do that since my company firewall has blocked the outgoing
> > to news servers...
>
>      Well duh, as if I knew that, man.
>

> > Now I wonder why can't you just help me out to solve my problem giving it
> > priority over configuring a newsreader. In the link I've posted many times
> > the actual ZIP files are aviable. Just go there and grab them for analysis
> > if you want to help me.
>
>         Help you? No.
>
>          Bye.
>
>        ~Steve~

Then DO NOT MAKE ME WASTE MY TIME WITH A SOLUTION WHEN I ALREADY FOUND ONE,
THAT?S JUST USELESS INFORMATION IN THAT CASE.

OHH AND BY THE WAY IF YOU GAT PISSED THATS YOUR PROBLEM NOT MINE...GROW UP..